Talk

Advanced search

Would you ask for your child to be put in class with kids she knows?

(12 Posts)
Mamabear12 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:20:08

Not even sure if it's an option. Or if they would do the opposite of what I ask. Basically my daughter is starting new school and there are two classes. She knows 5 kids in class A from previous school and knows 1 child in B. Is it silly for me to see if she good be placed in class A if there is room? Or do u think they would do opposite of what I ask?

Crumbs1 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:22:12

I think you should trust your child will soon make friends and that those friendships will,change frequently whichever class they are in.

Ilovecaindingle Mon 02-Jan-17 18:23:05

Give it a fortnight and she will have a dozen friends regardless of which class she goes into!!

Witchend Mon 02-Jan-17 18:28:37

re there spaces in both classes?

However as she knows children in both I wouldn't worry too much.

Mamabear12 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:53:18

Okay, thanks. That is true. I am sure she will make friends fast. I will just leave it up to the school.

Lilianne Tue 03-Jan-17 03:53:37

I'd say no harm asking. A friend's son was the only one separated from a previous friendship group, with 6 nursery friends all in the other class. Made settling so much more difficult and by 3 months into the school year has made some new friends but is still sad that the others don't play with him as much. I think it depends on the child...

Mamabear12 Tue 03-Jan-17 08:10:02

Lilianne, that is what I was think. Settling in would be much easier w the class she knows a lot more kids in. Not even sure it is an option. But thought if it was, I should perhaps mention that she knows more kids in class A.

greenfolder Tue 03-Jan-17 08:38:36

I would go with the asking cant do any harm. If there is not a space in that class then fair enough but do make sure the school knows.

IWantATardis Tue 03-Jan-17 08:44:55

I'd ask, it can't do any harm, although of course it may not be possible depending on how many kids are already in each class.

But I'm coming from this as someone who was a shy kid who really struggled making new friends at school, so it's something that would have made a big difference to me. If your DD is a confident sort of child it may not make any difference to her.

Mamabear12 Tue 03-Jan-17 09:10:51

I just emailed the head of the school to let them know :-) I decided the information could not hurt. I did not specifically request it. I just said that my DD knows 5 kids in class A due to being in nursery previously, so that might help settling in. But understood that might not be an option as it depends if there is space, but thought they should know just in case. Bc you never know. There could be space in both classes and they randomly pick one...but if they know she knows more kids in one class they might think its a better fit for her instead of deciding randomly and blindly. But it could be there only space in one class and that is where she will go...which I am fine...just thought the little extra bit of knowledge does not hurt. My DD appears confident and many teachers of her past have laughed when I said she is shy, they always say "Shy? No way, she is so confident!" But she does get quite shy in new situations...but once she is comfortable she is very confident. So I think she will be shy at first regardless which class she goes into as it is a new situation and new school. But she will get comfortable soon enough and I will try to arrange some play dates FAST!

Mamabear12 Fri 06-Jan-17 07:32:21

Just wanted to update everyone, my daughter was put in class B bc they had less children in that class. However, I'm super happy as she actually knows 3 girls in that class, and at pick up has clearly bonded well with one of them. Holding hands, giggles and running around 😃 She was also able to play w her previous nursery friends during recess so that is great. She had a fantastic first day!

Tomorrowillbeachicken Fri 06-Jan-17 11:47:12

I wouldn't worry. My child started reception this year after going to attached nursery and mainly plays with different kids than last year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now