Talk

Advanced search

Educational magazines for primary age

(23 Posts)
alotlikeChristmas16 Mon 26-Dec-16 12:27:09

Anybody recommend maths/science/English magazines aimed at their primary age dc that they love? Seen whizzbangpop and Mrs wordsmith (not found a maths one). Not keen on the many websites with games as dd(6) spends plenty of time on screens already.

AuntieStella Mon 26-Dec-16 12:31:37

This might be what you're after

www.aquila.co.uk

TheLongRoadToXmas Mon 26-Dec-16 14:40:54

I was going to recommend Aquila, too. It's great.

alotlikeChristmas16 Mon 26-Dec-16 14:45:01

That's good I've seen it but hard to know what is really good!

SantaIsABastard Mon 26-Dec-16 14:47:40

What about whizz pop bang? (Words may be in wrong order!)

SantaIsABastard Mon 26-Dec-16 14:48:00

Oops re read and are you have seen it!

SantaIsABastard Mon 26-Dec-16 14:48:09

*see!

alotlikeChristmas16 Mon 26-Dec-16 14:50:16

Do your dc like it santa? I'll maybe get a few, dd keeps saying school is boring, think bored by it

Footle Mon 26-Dec-16 14:54:39

Okido starts from about 4.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 26-Dec-16 14:57:49

My two had an Aquila subscription as a gift and barely looked at it, it just didn't command their attention at all.

BoogleMcGroogle Mon 26-Dec-16 20:00:13

Following a recommendation on here, we get The Week junior. 6 might be too young but DD age 7 and a half copes well with it. Perhaps one for a subscription next Christmas? A great range of articles, covering a wide range of subjects and issues. I quite often have a read myself too ;)

DancingDragon Mon 26-Dec-16 20:03:19

Whiz pop bang is good.

annandale Mon 26-Dec-16 20:07:20

What about The Phoenix? It's not about maths and English but is about storytelling, includes some great puzzles which require maths skills and is free of adverts. DS really loved it at the right age.

Onceuponatime21 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:08:16

We get whizz pop bang, and mine aren't particularly interested at all. But they both love Stormforce - the junior section of the RNLI. The magazine is quarterly, and full of interesting facts about the sea, beach safety etc. Mine have particularly enjoyed learning the morse code stuff, the flag code thingy, being able to tell the speed of the wind by looking at the conditions on the water etc. It's more than you think it is. And it costs all of £10 per year, they get loads of goodies when they join, and the RNLI is a fab charity.

So that would be my recommendation!

alotlikeChristmas16 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:12:01

Good point about RNLI, I had a Scottish wildlife trust membership til recently and that had a really nice children's magazine. I will check into these recommendations, and see what dd seems interested in.

DancingDragon Mon 26-Dec-16 20:12:39

That sounds good once

Onceuponatime21 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:15:36

Yay! Hope you all sign up. Love the RNLI !! (DS used to be obsessed by lifeboats, and they were always so nice to him, so they hold a special place in my heart! )

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 26-Dec-16 20:19:21

Second okaido. National geographic kids?

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 26-Dec-16 20:31:40

What age group would you say the RNLI is aimed at?

fruitpastille Mon 26-Dec-16 20:42:25

Some of the Aquila problems are pretty challenging. My DS is above average year 5 and needs help at times. Actually he's lost interest after a few issues! The rspb do a nice magazine for members - 2 different ones depending on age.

Onceuponatime21 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:45:30

Under 11s. Mine was 3 when he started getting them. But like I say, he was lifeboat obsessed (rather than trains or tractors). He's 8 now, and still really enjoys. Definitely gets more out of it now, but has enjoyed reading his back issues. For £10 a year, I didn't mind him just focusing on pictures etc when he was little.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 27-Dec-16 08:02:22

Thanks Once , my youngest is nearly 11 so probably a bit late for us. We've tried The Week Junior to no avail as well
as Aquila. One DC reads a lot of sports magazines/comics but never found any that grab the attention of my younger DC.

Didiplanthis Sat 31-Dec-16 19:14:43

My dd 7 loves wild times the RSPB one. She wasn't that interested until she was about 6 but really enjoys it now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: