Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Having A Mare With DSs School (Long)

(7 Posts)
WestCountryLass Mon 19-Feb-07 21:06:12

My DS is in Reception. We live in a small village and it is the only school walking distance from our house.

I am so unimpressed with the school though. There are lots of problems with the leadership and running of the school from a basic housekeeping level (the Xmas tree is still outside in the Reception playground mid-February is just one example from the school issuing a questionairre and then the Head Teacher responding with a knee jerk reaction of a letter basically slating the parents for not being supportive of the school, the very next day issuing another letter apologising for the previous letter.

It is a joke!

What to do, what to do?? Do we move DS to another school? Do we move house again (only moved 18 months ago)? DD was due to start at their nursery but I have heard the nursery staff shouting at the children so now don't want to send her there.

NorksBride Mon 19-Feb-07 23:51:42

If your DS is learning, happy and the curriculum is varied and interesting then I wouldn't worry about a Christmas tree in the playground.

Do you have an active PTA? (ie. Couldn't a parent have moved the tree? The school might wait forever for the council to do it and at least the children had a tree). If the PTA is small or ineffective then you could get involved and change things from within. And encourage other parents to do the same.

If there are serious issues and the school has a Board of Governors I'd write them a letter. What do the other parents think? Could you persuade some others to also write letters? Otherwise write to your education authority.

It's your village school and it should be a community asset.

As for the nursery - my pre-sch staff occasionally need to raise their voices but they never shout at the children. Perhaps have a visit and raise it with the Supervisor. How old is your DD - could you delay her start date. Are there any other nurseries in the area?

WestCountryLass Tue 20-Feb-07 16:00:46

The problems run from the very basic levels of management right through to the top end and including the childrens learning.

I know the Xmas tree seems like a trivial thing but it is indicative of the lack of care from both the school and teachers. And I myself would have gladly moved it but I am 8 months pregnant and not dragging it out to my car.

There was a vacancy for a Governer but it appears it is a job for the boys scenario as I put my name forward and so did a friend of mine but another person was appointed without an election taking place. Same with the PTA, it is very active, down the pub that is - and I am not sitting in a stinky smokey pub of an evening i'm afraid.

Also with DDs nursery place, there are other nurseries but there is no way I can do the school drop off or collection at the same time in two seperate locations. I am a Parent Governor at my DSs previous nursery wich received an award for being one of the best pre-schools in the country and an excellent OFSTED so my expectations are admittedly high.

I do appreciate your points and that my
first post does not contain all the details. I am not meaning to dismiss your comments as they are valid, just that the issues are more complex than my original post explains.

WestCountryLass Tue 20-Feb-07 16:01:59

Meant to say school and parents not teachers

LucyJu Tue 20-Feb-07 16:19:45

I would ask the head how a parent governor get appointed without an election. If more than one person expressed an interest in this position, there should have been an election.

You should also raise any other issues of concern with the head. If you are not satisfied with his/her respnse, then try writing to the board of governors.

roisin Tue 20-Feb-07 16:22:22

I have to say in a primary school the HT is of crucial importance. If you don't have any faith in him/her (and it sounds as though you don't), I think moving your ds is an option you need to seriously consider.

When was the last Ofsted?

WestCountryLass Tue 20-Feb-07 21:40:53

LucyJu

I will do that, raise the issues with the Head. I think I will email her to arrange an appointment and let her know what I would like to discuss.

Roisin

It was OFSTEDed in October last year. IMO the report is poor (most areas are graded 3s and 4s) but it is an improvement on the previous report.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now