Talk

Advanced search

Role of school nurse after a&e visit

(16 Posts)
Soscared100 Wed 21-Dec-16 12:28:39

Can anyone let me know what the role would be following a 6 year old attending a&e after burning her foot 😢

JOEYDOESNTSHAREFOOD Wed 21-Dec-16 12:31:07

OP, you have had this question answered so many times on your previous thread. They MAY be notified. They MAY choose to follow this up with a conversation with you or your child.

It was an accident, you're letting it eat you up.

AnInfiniteOceanOfLight Wed 21-Dec-16 12:57:04

I saw the start of your other thread. If it helps - my 1yo got scalded once and a hv came round following a and e visit, but they told me at hospital they would be referring it. We are i.e. Involved with social services for completely different reasons and they did not know about the scalding incident.

The SW are really nice people, who appear to be out to support as much as possible. Even if they do get told it's really no big deal.

AnInfiniteOceanOfLight Wed 21-Dec-16 12:57:34

Now involved, not i.e.

Soscared100 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:09:44

I know I am and I am trying not to but the not knowing is working me up a little more
It's been 3 days and nothing so maybe I am panicking about nothing Nobody mentioned anything about referring anything at all.
Pictures were taken to send over to the burns unit and again when we got there for progress but other than that the rest of the time was just cleaning it up and wrapping it

Lilybensmum1 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:12:18

I had this my DS burnt his hand on the hob blush and had no idea that the health visitors would be informed until a few days later I recieved a call to ask how he was. No problems and no follow up. I'm sure it will be fine.

Soscared100 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:21:10

Thankyou,
I wish school was still open for them to give me a call if that's the plan and then at least it would be over and done with! She will probably be back at school by the time they get in contact then.
Health visitors were always lovely when we saw them, I wish we were still under them actually as that wouldn't be worrying me at all

MayhemandMadness01 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:26:09

If you phone the health visitors, they will have the number for the school nurses, ring them if you are worried rather than this being at the back of your mind over christmas.

LordVoldemortsMissingNose Wed 21-Dec-16 13:29:34

Look, children are not taken away from their parents for an isolated accident. There are due processes that must be followed after an accident to make sure it is just that, an accident.

My daughter was admitted through a&e at age 3 following accidental ingestion of drugs (prescription). A referral was made to SS and I had s phone call. That is it. Stop worrying, you will answer the questions they ask and that will be that.

blueskyinmarch Wed 21-Dec-16 13:38:54

I am the SW who was on your other thread. I have read all your comments and from what you have said there is NOTHING which makes me believe they will refer this on to SS. They won't inform the school nurse. They have a very different role to heath visitors. Your DD volunteered to the doctors what happened and i expect you told them the same version of events. They were probably completely happy with consistency of the version of events and the injuries your DD received. Please forget all about it and just enjoy your Christmas or you will drive yourself mad and make yourself ill.

cx5221 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:43:01

Surely if they were that worried they wouldn't have let you take your dd home op? They would have kept you in hospital until social services could get up and assess the situation and until the doctor was happy it was an accidental injury.
If they thought you had done it on purpose why would they let you take your dd home?
The school nurse will probably just give you some home safety advice.

Witchend Wed 21-Dec-16 13:48:16

I got referred to SS after ds broke his arm (on a residential) and I only took him to A&E after a week.
The hospital were quite happy that it was accidental, and he wasn't presenting as in much pain etc. but if it's a week after the accident they have to.
I've had no follow up from anyone-I assume (would hope actually) that it's noted somewhere in his files so if it was a pattern then they would chase it up.

Soscared100 Wed 21-Dec-16 14:03:47

I am really going to try now to calm down.
She is doing so so well and is trying so hard to stand on it even though it must be uncomfortable for her.
She has got half of her Christmas presents early for being so brave 😃
Thankyou for the replies, escpecially to the social worker who has replied.
I thought the school nurse would be contacted regarding any a&e visit instead of he health visiting team as over 5 years hence my question on this but perhaps I am wrong.
I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and I really do appreciate you replying to my thread

lunchboxtroubles Wed 21-Dec-16 21:19:42

I'm a GP. If you saw even a fraction of the things I've seen, where social services close the case despite us and other professionals screaming at them to remove the child, you wouldn't worry. They may or may come round but it won't go any further assuming is all as you say in your other thread.

My daughter fell off a climbing frame and broke her ankle. 3 weeks later I had a call from the HV checking up on me - I did think that if it had been abuse, 3 weeks was maybe a bit on the slow side.....

Wolfiefan Wed 21-Dec-16 21:24:36

You seriously need to chill out. And stop acting so guilty. Why on earth has she got Christmas presents early for climbing in the kitchen? And her ears pierced?
OP you must see your response to this accident is completely irrational and OTT. If you can't then please seek help from your GP. This is not a normal response to an accident.

Soscared100 Thu 22-Dec-16 08:42:35

She isn't getting her ears pierced
She has been asking for the past year and we had a moment thinking maybe we should just let her as an extra Xmas present but I know I don't like them on such young children so I'm sticking with my no.
I wouldn't say I'm rewarding what she's done, but equally she's been in a lot of pain and has been housebound so we've given her some presents early to entertain her.
She can't walk on it and they didn't give her crutches to assist her as didn't have any so aside from me carrying her to the local shop or going for a drive she's had to be at home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now