Talk

Advanced search

Preps in Birmingham/Solihull - Opinions please!

(9 Posts)
rosycn Tue 20-Dec-16 13:41:30

Looking for a Prep for DS at Y3 entry. Any suggestions? Opinions on Eversfield in Solihull, Hallfield or the Blue Coat? Thanks in advance.

WonderWombat Tue 20-Dec-16 13:45:59

Hallfield has a ridiculous uniform and big traffic jams outside it, making delivery/collection a pain for parents - and anyone else who is just trying to travel round Birmingham.

There are many excellent state primary schools nearby - including some where children are unlikely to have to mingle with those who are not from affluent backgrounds.

Bluecoat had a sexual abuse scandal involving a teacher which was hushed up.

Merry Xmas.

rosycn Tue 20-Dec-16 13:56:08

Thanks WonderWombat for the info. We do need to consider the travel. Not in Birmingham yet, still need to research on the local areas.

WonderWombat Tue 20-Dec-16 14:01:09

Sorry, that did sound a bit hostile.

A mate's friend sent her child to Hallfield kindergarten. No complaints, I think but perhaps she found the atmostphere a bit competitive/precious and didn't carry on. Another friend did go on with Hallfield, but she was very into the competition.

I don't really know about Bluecoat - and most schools will have had an unsuitable teacher at some stage. I assume they had done the proper checks and nothing showed up. Harborne/Edgbaston traffic can be a big issue though if you are living in the immediate area, presumably it's less bad.

WonderWombat Tue 20-Dec-16 15:03:40

Oh and I've remembered why my friend took her daughter out of the kindergarten at Hallfield after a year. There was a group of boys bagging all the favoured play equipment and generally being bossy and sexist, and the teacher completely failed to challenge it. 'Boys will be boys' that sort of thing. Not what my friend wanted for her daughter. Also my friend thought the uniform/rules were a bit 19th century. Boys had to doff their caps to the headteacher - this is a good 15 years back, so they may be gradually inching closer to the 20th century now...

rosycn Tue 20-Dec-16 15:18:33

Many thanks WonderWombat. It is great to hear about some individual experience.

Will move to Birmingham next year for new job. Not know Birmingham very much, only a couple of visits around the centre before. Try to look at the schools first then searching for houses. Any general info about the local areas also appreciated smile

ChristmasZombie Wed 21-Dec-16 19:07:02

May I send you a PM? I may be able to help you, but don't want to out myself!

FurbysMakeSexNoises Wed 21-Dec-16 19:08:04

I have a friend whose children go to Eversfield and they're delighted with it.

rosycn Wed 21-Dec-16 20:16:11

Please PM me ChristmasZombie. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now