Talk

Advanced search

Good book bundle to support my reception kid's reading?

(16 Posts)
crazyhead Wed 14-Dec-16 21:43:18

Any ideas on good early reader bundles for young kinds - the sort Book People do? fiction or non fiction, particular series?

My son is in reception and is learning to read. He seems from what I can see to be doing well (I must confess I have zero understanding of the area but to my untutored eye he's racing through the books - this week's book is oxford reading tree red stage 2 which from googling looks like healthy normal)

I wondered about getting him a bundle to look at at home as he enjoys sitting in his chair having a browse and reading stuff out loud on his own. (He already has heaps of books we read to him, so this is in addition to that).

Any suggestions of what you've used? I would go to the library but realistically me and DH work loads and struggle to get there regularly.

Coconut0il Wed 14-Dec-16 22:02:41

The Songbirds books by Julia Donaldson are really good. The book people do a set with 36 books for £15. They are decodable, I really recommend them.

crazyhead Wed 14-Dec-16 22:09:02

Thank you! Sounds good

BelafonteRavenclaw Wed 14-Dec-16 22:12:36

Watching with interest as DS1 is exactly the same.

Lottieloves Wed 14-Dec-16 22:15:18

I also recommend the songbird books by Julia Donaldson..... my ds is year one and used to love them..... we still read some of them......

ReallyTired Thu 15-Dec-16 09:38:07

I suggest you have a look on ebay. There are often second books.

www.oxfordowl.co.uk

Has 250 free e books. There are some phonics books and Ruth Miskin books on there. It will give you an idea what your child likes before you buy anything.

It's better to pick a series of books your child's school doesn't use. It's better for supplementary work to complement rather than duplicate what a teacher does.

I used jelly and bean books. Dd's school used dandelion readers in reception.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 15-Dec-16 09:46:57

DS is in year one, we had a curriculum meeting at the start of term and we were told that along side the phonics/reading tree type books that they were introducing mainstream books because apparently after tests the government found that children could read the phonics books but were struggling to apply their knowledge to mainstream books. Books my DS has been sent home with this term incl Peppa Pig series and edited Peter Rabbit books.

ReallyTired Thu 15-Dec-16 09:54:44

It's Bollox that children who have had phonic books can't move on to real books. Dd's class purely had decodable books for reception and much of year 1. Their phonics check results, key stage 1 results have been excellent.

I think there has been a misunderstanding. Children need to have real books read to them, but should not be set up to fail by being asked to read something that they are not ready for. Read the peppy pig books to your child, but get her to read a decodable book for practice.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 15-Dec-16 10:12:21

I don't know ReallyTired I just went to the meeting and do as I'm told grin

thetowpath Thu 15-Dec-16 10:31:52

Songbirds songbirds songbirds songbirds songbirds.
You can tell they're written by a 'real' writer - zany and lots of variety. (No disrespect to the hardworking authors of Biff & Chip...)
After that (end reception-ish) we got Project X Alien Adventures from The Book People, and that was them pretty much reading.

Coconut0il Thu 15-Dec-16 10:38:43

Floppy phonics are also good, decodable books.

Agree with reallytired. Read any book your child is interested in to them but early readers really need decodable books to read themselves.

We also use Bug Club at the school I work in but I'm not sure how easy it is to set up for parents. There are lots of books on there.

If you're interested in apps too teach your monster to read is a good one.

ReallyTired Thu 15-Dec-16 10:39:13

I agree that the songbirds books are good.Song birds are limited in number. Also a lot of schools use them. I feel a variety of decodable books are good and see what the child prefers. Some children like factual books.

In my experience children like the magic key books even if the parents can't stand them. I think that the Oxford reading tree books are good once a child has a solid grounding in phonics. Dd's school got rid if the early ORT books with good reason. ORT books from stage 4 onwards do have a place.

katand2kits Fri 16-Dec-16 10:35:56

The songbirds set are great. In addition you can buy the Read Write Inc books in black and white "home" versions on Amazon - they are about £10 for a set of 10. My son in in Reception and I've got the first two bands of RWI books, they have a combination of phonetic words and words that have to be learnt by sight.

mrz Fri 16-Dec-16 17:13:36

*"*^*we were told that along side the phonics/reading tree type books that they were introducing mainstream books because apparently after tests the government found that children could read the phonics books but were struggling to apply their knowledge to mainstream books.*^*"*

I can't believe a school would blatantly lie to parents in this way shock

ReallyTired Fri 16-Dec-16 18:57:35

I think there must be a misunderstanding. The mainstream books are supposed to be read to the child for enjoyment.

HaveNoSocks Sun 18-Dec-16 16:07:13

I second both songbirds and read write inc. phonics black and white ones. t first I was a bit disappointed (bought the bundle off amazon_ as they're black and white and look like fliers a opposed to "proper" books but my DS4 always chooses one of those. The skill level seems to go up more gradually than ORT or songbirds. And they spend more time consolidating the "tricky words" i.e. the words that can't be decoded with my DS's current phonics knowledge. My DS has got much further with read, write inc.(he can do pink) than ORT (he's level 2 or 3).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now