Talk

Advanced search

Best non-online Maths Games for 6 year olds please ?

(11 Posts)
Tillyboo Tue 29-Nov-16 22:42:00

My bright 5yo nephew loves maths so we're looking for a fun learning Maths game for him for Christmas.

He's a wizz on a tablet but his dad is keen for him to have something tangible to play/ learn from.

Any suggestions ? I love Orchard Toys but the age ranges are too wide ie 3-10yrs

irvineoneohone Tue 29-Nov-16 22:58:41

Some here. You can refine by choosing age group.

www.happypuzzle.co.uk/categories/Maths-Games.aspx

www.learningresources.co.uk/category/teachers/maths-resources.do

www.brightminds.co.uk/maths-games/c86

mrz Wed 30-Nov-16 06:56:42

Old fashioned board games are great for building maths skills

FlyingFergusFan Wed 30-Nov-16 09:18:31

DS enjoyed 'Ten Frame Towers' (by 'Junior Learning') which helps visualise and practise number bonds to 10, up until he was pretty solid with them. And the 'Magic Cauldron Game' (Orchard I think). In that game you pick a card with a number, then try to find a tile showing a sum/subtraction/multiplication that has your number as a result. Initially we played it the 'wrong' way, i.e. pick a sum and find the answer. When he was more confident with his sums etc we started doing it the way it was meant.
For a while he liked 'Maisy's Match and Count Card Game' which is essentially UNO but has the extra rule that if there is, say, a red six, you can lay down anything red or a six of any colour or, and this is the extra bit, any two or three cards that add up to six.

Some of these games may be a bit young for a bright 5 year old.

This is a combination of tablet and offline: Osmo. DS (able 6 year old) currently enjoys playing Osmo Numbers and it has really brought along his 'fluency'. There is a little scope for him yet to go, but still it is limited and I think might soon get boring. Would have been perfect a year ago. (He was given it as a gift, it is lovely though I do think it is overpriced).

mrsmortis Wed 30-Nov-16 10:15:31

I'm not sure what your problem is with Orchard Games. By DDs and my nieces and nephews have all loved them. For some inexplicable reason their absolute favourite is Pop to the Shops. My DDs (7 and 4) play it together independently, though they like it best when Grandad agrees to play too.

SisterViktorine Thu 01-Dec-16 20:39:35

Plyt is the best one I think because you can practise a huge range of different maths skills with it and all players can play at their own level.

Nectarines Thu 01-Dec-16 21:07:08

Dominoes are great for maths skills. And dice games

CasparBloomberg Thu 01-Dec-16 21:50:40

"Shut the box" is a very simple arithmetic game and good as a travel game.

SE13Mummy Fri 02-Dec-16 00:41:42

The 24 game! There are online/app versions but the card game is the best.

Mary21 Fri 02-Dec-16 16:50:51

Frustration
Junior monopoly or even the real monopoly

BlueChampagne Fri 02-Dec-16 22:17:42

Math bingo app more fun than it sounds ... and the Creature Clash game combines literacy, arithmetic and silliness.

Not too early to start chess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now