Talk

Advanced search

Violent behaviour in primary school wwyd

(6 Posts)
Epifanny Fri 25-Nov-16 23:10:27

After a failed placing request, my daughter (pfb) is now in P2 at our local school. She is in a nice class with good friends and is doing well academically - she is much brighter than I'll ever be!
A conversation with another parent has sent me into a tailspin though. While pfb's class is fine, it seems that quite a few older classes experience really challenging behaviour from kids with furniture being thrown. Violent to the point where the other children - the whole class - need to be moved to another class for their own safety. Families are moving because of this or talking of changing schools.
My mind is racing about what to do. We can't afford it now, but I think we want to move house in two or three years once I am back in full time work. I moved primary school in p3 and tbh hated it. Not the new school, just new people, the cultural diffs (rural v urban) so don't know if two moves for pfb is a wise choice and too unsettling. I get that the kids displaying violence perhaps have difficulties at home but if their actions are affecting the safety of others can't more be done?
What's happening at the school isn't "normal", is it? Is there anything I can do as a parent to challenge it? The head teacher seems lovely but surely this points to poor management or resource issues?? Have any of you experienced anything like this?

catkind Sat 26-Nov-16 12:23:37

Leave it, your child is fine, and you have no real reason to think they won't continue to be. What's happening sounds like specific children with specific behavioural issues. The fact that they're in a different class in your school doesn't make kids in your child's class more likely to suddenly up and throw furniture.

LIZS Sat 26-Nov-16 12:28:52

You really shouldn't listen to hearsay. There may be individuals with SN issues, Sen or emotional issues who have caused such incidents but it doesn't affect your child nor does it in itself indicate a failure within the school. Moving school is a fact of life for all sorts of reasons. Deal with it if and when.

bettycat81 Sat 26-Nov-16 15:38:08

I agree, with pp's but I empathise with you OP as we experienced similar in DS'S class last year. There was a very disruptive child who would get violent and on a fee occaisions the class was moved while he was dealt with. The school however were fantastic they found a way to help him (it took time and patience) while he got a diagnosis and now he is receiving the help he needs (currently away from the class). I think you should find out how the school are helping before making a decision.

Epifanny Sat 26-Nov-16 16:40:48

Thanks all. Posted that last night when my mind was racing and I should have been asleep (wow - exciting Friday night!) Have calmed down somewhat and am taking a much less reactionary attitude. Thanks for your good advice x

Witchend Sun 27-Nov-16 11:38:06

You only need one child in a class with issues for this to happen. It doesn't reflect on any other classes.

One of mine had a child like this in reception and part of year 1. I've got 3 dc all of whom went through the school (oldest now in year 11, youngest year 5) and this has not happened in any other class ever.

It also means that the school is handling it. Yes, it's not ideal for the rest of the class to have to evacuate while their classmate is throwing chairs about (although my dc thought it was very exciting) but it is a known way of dealing with it.

And why was it only part way through year 1? Because he got a space at a special school. They'd identified that he needed more help than they could give very early in year R, but it took that long to find him a placement. That was with the head doing everything she could and the parents being supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now