Talk

Advanced search

7+ how to tell school?

(6 Posts)
IsayIdontknow Fri 18-Nov-16 09:14:03

My DS will be doing the 7+ assessments for 3 schools, and all of them want to see him twice, so all together quite a few week day assessments. He is currently in a state primary where 11+ is very common but not so much at 7.

Can I get authorized absence for these assessments? Did you tell the headteacher or just tell the school office? We have not decided he will definitely leave (or he may not get into any of the 3), and would like to keep the relationship with school as nice as possible.

mumonahottinroof Fri 18-Nov-16 10:10:03

You just politely inform the office, ds will be having the morning of x off, I can't remember when my dcs did it if it was authorised or not, but if it is unauthorised, too bad. It is also a good idea to have a polite word with the head, saying you want him to have a go, though you may not necessarily take up an offer. The head will possibly have to write references, so important to let him/her know the situation.

IsayIdontknow Fri 18-Nov-16 15:38:39

Thanks mumonahottinroof ! I guess I was dreading a bit of telling the head about it but then he should have seen it all before.

Leeds2 Fri 18-Nov-16 16:38:28

I would certainly tell the Head, as they potential new schools may ring him to ask about your DS and it is probably best that this doesn't come out of the blue! And, as hottinroof says, he will in any event be asked for a written reference at some point.

I would emphasise when you speak to the Head that you have not yet finally decided that you want to move DS, and also be prepared to explain why you are thinking of moving him as the Head will probably ask.

Madcats Fri 18-Nov-16 17:09:03

Assuming you know the Head I would start there. DD's old Head was very encouraging (and school is used to losing a couple of kids at 7+). We simply explained that we thought she would be a good fit at the other school so we were putting her in for the entrance exams.

Indie school asked for a report from the state school (but were fairly relaxed about timing) so the Head wrote that after DD had done her SATS.

Hope it all goes well for your DS.

IsayIdontknow Tue 22-Nov-16 11:34:28

Thanks for your advice! I told the headteacher when I bumped into him yesterday, and he didn't seem surprised nor did he ask me much about it, just thank me for letting him know. Phew!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now