Talk

Advanced search

Teaching phonics

(14 Posts)
tushywush Fri 18-Nov-16 07:38:25

Are there any books to help me understand how to teach phonics?

We are moving to a different country soon and my DD is in reception here abdcreskky getting the hang of reading/phonics here so I'm keen to continue with her to keep her English up but feel a bit overwhelmed at the idea of being responsible for this mammoth task!!!

Ginmummy1 Fri 18-Nov-16 12:26:42

Hopefully a teacher will advise in more detail, but I'd suggest Alphablocks, and also the Phonics Play website as useful resources. Good luck!

Ferguson Sat 19-Nov-16 19:43:24

The Oxford Phonics Spelling Dictionary is one of the best resources - It is colourful, easy to use, and will last through primary school to the start of secondary. Sounds are presented in the correct sequence ( s a t p i n are the first few). You can find more information in MN book reviews: search my name, and Phonics.

catkind Sun 20-Nov-16 15:57:37

There's lots of useful resources online; the BBC alphablocks site has nice videos and games for the kids and some explanation for adults. Highly recommend the Teach Your Monster to Read games too, DC seemed to find them very engaging - DS was still playing long after he could read. Phonics International have some nice (free) charts to print out. I printed one out for myself but actually DS nabbed it and taught himself lots of the code.

Mostly I'd say find a good source or set of decodable books and follow them through in order. And get used to helping them sound out words rather than just telling them the word when they get stuck. The Songbirds set we had from the Book People is good for systematically covering sounds in a sensible order, but you'd probably need a bit more than that as aren't that many books per level.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 20-Nov-16 16:52:18

It might be worth registering for the free Unit 1 resources of phonics international as well as the code charts. There's some good background information in there.

If you are going to get decodable books, I agree with catkind. Whilst satpin are the first 6 letters taught in jolly phonics and letters and sounds, it isn't the same for every scheme. You might be better to work with the order of the resources you can get hold of.

maizieD Sun 20-Nov-16 21:34:46

You might find Sue Lloyd's site helpful

tcrw.co.uk/materials-for-teaching-children-to-read-and-write/introduction/

Sue was the co-author of Jolly Phonics and a very experienced teacher.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 20-Nov-16 21:51:43

Good link, maizie. I hadn't seen that before.

Whoami24601 Sun 20-Nov-16 21:56:02

The jolly phonics app is free and it has all the phases already separated for you. You can use it to listen to the sounds, and the songs for each phoneme

maizieD Sun 20-Nov-16 22:34:16

Sue's web site hasn't been up for very long, Rafa. It was flagged up on twitter, but these things take time to get known.

Do pass the link on to anyone you think might be interested.

SavoyCabbage Sun 20-Nov-16 22:54:53

I used Mr Thorne does phonics. Useful to teach yourself synthetic phonics before letting your dc on it! He has a website, videos on YouTube and apps.

Also, I bought all the read, write inc. reading books from Amazon. We worked through them methodically. My dd read each one twice over two nights, we did the activities in the back and then on to the next one. It cost about £100 but I sold them afterwards as they were all in good condition.

www.amazon.co.uk/Read-Write-Inc-Phonics-Storybooks/dp/0198372515/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1479682332&sr=8-8&keywords=read+write+inc

I also used the read write inc speed sounds poster. www.amazon.co.uk/Read-Write-Inc-Sounds-PHONICS/dp/0198460473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479682451&sr=8-1&keywords=read+write+inc+poster

nailslikeknives Sun 20-Nov-16 22:57:40

Primary teacher here. BBC Alphablocks DVDs are brilliant

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 20-Nov-16 23:13:16

Will do, maizie. There's a few bits on there that might ruffle a few feathers, I think.

The first cause of reading and writing issues for a start wink

maizieD Mon 21-Nov-16 14:11:36

The first cause of reading and writing issues for a start

Well, Sue was an SEN teacher so what she says is worth taking note of. grin

She told me once that she only ever had one child that she failed to teach to read...

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 21-Nov-16 17:00:54

I think Ruth Miskin has said the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now