Manor Lodge vs St Hilda's

(9 Posts)
Homely1 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:09:30

Can anyone help here please? Which is better? More academic?

hertsmummy70 Fri 18-Nov-16 17:27:08

I had a child who went to the nursery at St Hilda and both my children go to Manor Lodge now. They are both great schools. We chose Manor Lodge as it's Co-Ed and bigger than St Hilda but academically they are probably on par with each other.

Homely1 Sat 19-Nov-16 13:36:20

Thank you so much! I keep hearing that manor lodge is more academic and ppl have turned their nose up at st Hilda's though I felt it was nice too. Hence I'm having dilemma's

Homely1 Sat 19-Nov-16 13:36:28

Dilemmas

2kidswhatschool Sat 19-Nov-16 23:31:43

Hertsmummy are you very happy with manor lodge. What is the homework like? Are both your kids around the same ability? I have two children and am considering manor lodge but worry about it being very demanding in Upper years. Iver been reading that reception has 3 forms what are classes sizes like further up?

Sorry homely for jumping on. Just looking for as much information to help me make a decision!

hertsmummy70 Sun 20-Nov-16 21:42:09

Homely1 I think it is very difficult to compare academics year on year to any school. One year a particular school might introduce formal grammar earlier and another times tables. I feel they all probably reach the same level by the time the children leave school in year 6 especially as they are prep schools.

2kidswhatschool, I am happy with Manor Lodge but my children are even happier. Happy to go in and happy when they come out. I can't ask for anything more. The homework is gradual, starts in year 2 where they get it twice a week. Daily reading and weekly spelling tests start in Reception. There are 3 forms per year right through from Reception to Year 6. Class sizes on average 20, not more sometimes less. My children have different strengths, one good at Maths one good at English. The school works at getting the best out of the children.

2kidswhatschool Sun 20-Nov-16 22:04:10

Hi hertsmummy, so glad to hear this. I think you've helped make my mind up. Thank you very much x

Homely1 Mon 21-Nov-16 14:48:04

2kids... what's the verdict?!?

2kidswhatschool Mon 21-Nov-16 21:52:52

I think we've decided Manor Lodge. I say I think because there's always a chance that I could change my mind, but I doubt it! What have you decided? Is this for a place next September? When do you have to decide by?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now