Talk

Advanced search

At what points should kids be moved up on ORT?

(11 Posts)
Usernamealreadyexists Sun 13-Nov-16 18:28:26

Ds has a book change daily. Even though he was reading the books and fluently for a few weeks (he went through every single book in that band and got moved on when he had completed). I asked his teacher to send something more challenging and so she moved him up another level within 2 days. How do Inknow when it's time to move up?

Usernamealreadyexists Sun 13-Nov-16 18:28:51

*I know - sorry for the typo.

golfbuggy Sun 13-Nov-16 21:35:41

The best time to move up is before the child's parents lose the will to live smile

Or alternatively when they have met all the learning objectives for a particular level. DC's school used to helpfully stick a list in their reading diary. It was things like (depending on their level) - reading longer texts, reading with expression, inferring mood, identifying use of words etc etc ... I am sure the teacher will tell you if you ask him/her what you should be helping your child work on at their current level.

Usernamealreadyexists Sun 13-Nov-16 22:06:05

Gosh that's interesting. We are just given a book daily with a few words about how they read but no learning objectives. I always fonover bits to test his comprehension but we have no guidance.

Ginmummy1 Mon 14-Nov-16 08:22:37

DD's school doesn't specify learning objectives either. Some schools seem to expect the child to read all the books at one level before moving up. Others seem to wait until the parent mentions it, like you have done. Others assess and do it themselves. Some schools change books only on a specific day. Others will change any day. It varies so wildly.

You just have to work out what is going on at your school, and when/how to influence. It sounds like you've worked out that you'll need to speak to the teacher if you think he's ready for the next level. It seems crazy that they all do it differently!

irvineoneohone Mon 14-Nov-16 08:43:13

At our school, when you level up, they stick learning objectives of the level to the reading diary. Also they gave us list of questions you can ask at home according to the book levels.

I think able enthusiastic reader who progress faster than others can be sidelined easily, since teacher may spend more time with less confident readers. (At least in some school, not all, obv.)

Wellthen Mon 14-Nov-16 18:00:53

The books that go home should be a level below those read during guided reading or one to one reading. They should be reading them fairly fluently and confident answering questions. Reading at home is for practice, enjoyment and involving parents. If you think they're too easy, get something else from the library or challenge with discussion about the authors use of language. I don't get all this angst about reading levels. Unless you think they aren't being taught reading or aren't progressing which is a different concern.

irvineoneohone Mon 14-Nov-16 20:20:32

"I don't get all this angst about reading levels"

Uhm, if all school and teachers are consistent with what they do, then us parents don't need to worry so much?
I believe some teachers on MN who I really trust says the books should be right level, not level below.

Usernamealreadyexists Mon 14-Nov-16 20:23:16

TBH I'm not hung up on reading levels but it would be a damn shame if she was stuck on a lower level when he is capabale of reading something more challenging.

Feenie Mon 14-Nov-16 20:23:56

Yep. Those would also be the words of the National Curriculum smile

Feenie Mon 14-Nov-16 20:25:06

Gosh, cross posting made that gibberish! Was agreeing with irvine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now