Talk

Advanced search

How normal is this - year 1

(18 Posts)
Muddlingalongalone Mon 07-Nov-16 18:28:15

Just found out by word of mouth at the school gate picking up from a club that dd's teacher is leaving at Christmas having only joined the school in Sept.
Dd tells me teacher told the class today & the new teacher has been in the classroom with the class all day today.
There has been zero communication directly from the school.
Is this normal?

KohINoorPencil Mon 07-Nov-16 18:30:06

The only unusual part is how quickly they've found a replacement!

DesolateWaist Mon 07-Nov-16 18:30:22

Not normal.
However there could be a hundred reasons for it.

UpsideDownGiraffe Mon 07-Nov-16 18:31:01

Not really normal in any year group!

DianaMitford Mon 07-Nov-16 18:32:11

The one time this happened to my DC it turned out that the teacher had been asked to leave....

Muddlingalongalone Mon 07-Nov-16 19:00:55

Can only assume replacement is someone they originally interviewed in the summer or someone from newish heads old school. Time will tell I guess.
Not devastated by the news tbh. She came across well to start with but dd doesn't seem to have made that much progress apart from at reading which we do a lot of at home & did over the summer
That would be interesting if she'd been asked to leave though!!!

TeacherBob Mon 07-Nov-16 19:46:13

Fairly normal where I teach I am afraid, where we have a massive turnaround of staff due to pressures, in my last three schools

It will only get worse too.

That said, if they are working on the handover already, you probably have nothing to worry about.

MrsKCastle Mon 07-Nov-16 20:38:44

The turnover can be normal, but it's a bit off that they've introduced the new teacher to the children without telling the parents directly. It's more normal to write to or email the parents on the same day, if only because they'll have at least ten parents at the school office tomorrow asking if it's true!

ridinghighinapril Tue 08-Nov-16 09:30:01

I guess what matters is how normal it is in your DC's school. If it's a one-off then it could be for any number of reasons but if it was more frequent then I would be worried. Wrt to the school's communication, again, it depends on their usual track record at keeping you informed of decisions but I would expect to be informed by some sort of written communication (email, newsletter etc) but wouldn't expect them to divulge the reason. If it was for a serious breach of care then I would expect the teacher to be removed from their role immediately.

user1470997562 Tue 08-Nov-16 09:50:07

The turnover is normal. It's how they manage it, that's important. Finding a long-term replacement quickly is key I think. We do get a letter but it might well be after the incomer has had a few taster days so that the school can be definite about it.

SugarNspiceNallThingsNice Tue 08-Nov-16 09:55:37

It's quite common where my children go. I cannot figure out why as it's a lovely school. My daughters teacher in year 1 left on the same day they broke up for summer, he didn't give us much notice, and even though she's gone up a year she still misses him and gets upset at times bless her. I was upset too as my son would've had him this year. It's a shame.

deepdarkwood Tue 08-Nov-16 10:02:47

As a one-off, I wouldn't worry - there could be various reasons - but I must say the one time that we had this scenario it was because the teacher had been judged not up to scratch and asked to leave, but it's equally possible she is relocating. How they handle the changeover tells you more imo - and I'd be pleased the teacher was in the class already, but less impressed if a letter home to inform me of the change (with a suitably vague reason as to why the old teacher is leaving!) didn't arrive in the next few days.

golfbuggy Tue 08-Nov-16 11:29:44

Whenever we've had changeover of teachers, they liked to introduce the children to the new teacher before telling parents - I think it's because it makes it more reassuring that the new teacher is a known quantity.

It's a bit odd the teacher is leaving so soon - is it possible that this was planned all along, and they didn't tell parents (because uncertainty is worrying ..)

katand2kits Tue 08-Nov-16 14:09:09

Definitely leaving and not going on maternity leave?

mrz Tue 08-Nov-16 18:40:05

Last year one of my class told her mum I was leaving at Christmas and she organised a present ...I wasn't! What was happening was a student teacher was working in my class for her final placement and I'd introduced her and said she would be teaching them after Christmas ...So first I'd make sure it's true.

Muddlingalongalone Tue 08-Nov-16 21:24:33

Update - definitely leaving, letter came out today. Reason given very openly & apparently new teacher will be with them every Thursday to the end of term as handover/getting to know the children.
Generally very happy with the school so just one of those unfortunate things.

bojorojo Wed 09-Nov-16 17:31:48

Teachers do sometimes leave quickly if husband/partner/wife gets a job which forces the family to move away. I assume she resigned at half term. Well done to them if they have got a replacement so quickly.

Cosmicglitterghoul Wed 09-Nov-16 18:33:42

Not that common an occurrence, but not that unheard of either. I'm leaving at Christmas after starting this September.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now