Talk

Advanced search

Reading the whole school book in one stiiong...

(16 Posts)
Hiddeninplainsight Sun 06-Nov-16 17:26:57

So for the earlier stages of ORT (7/8 onwards) should a child be able to read the whole book in one sitting before moving up to that level? My DD was a very fast reader, so we always read one book in a reading session. My DS is much slower. He is also a lot less motivated. He reads books he likes (project x) really well (level 8 - I read a page, he reads a page). But he will read a level 6 book he isn't interested in very poorly. He reads the Early Reader Horrid Henrys pretty well too (again, something he likes), but because they are long we tend to do one page each.

I guess my questions are, if he can read half a level 8 book in one sitting is that okay? Essentially, how important is stamina? Thanks!

Hiddeninplainsight Sun 06-Nov-16 17:28:21

Oops!!!! Not sure where stiiong came from!?! Meant sitting!!

BratFarrarsPony Sun 06-Nov-16 17:29:03

well as long as your children enjoy reading, I am not sure it matters really....it is not a competition is it?

Hiddeninplainsight Sun 06-Nov-16 17:33:11

Don't think the question was about competition. It was about the importance of reading stamina, and whether that should be established before reading higher levels.

BratFarrarsPony Sun 06-Nov-16 17:37:42

oh I just meant the way that you were comparing your two children.
Honestly just let them enjoy reading at their own speed.

sirfredfredgeorge Sun 06-Nov-16 17:40:21

Surely beyond once phonic knowledge is done (so they get books they can read) - nothing matters at all does it? Whatever is best for that individual kid to improve and practice their stamina and speed?

blackhairbrush Sun 06-Nov-16 17:43:50

Why is his reading slow - is he having to sound out a large percentage of the text? Ideally he should be reading with about 95% accuracy and reasonable fluency.

jamdonut Sun 06-Nov-16 17:48:10

We always say that you shouldn't expect to do the higher level books in one night, maybe 2 or 3. Really a few pages a night is fine...there's no advantage to galloping through the books. I personally think that if you're having to read every other page yourself, you're trying to get through too much. Just let him do it at his pace for about 10 minutes, then stop, however far you have got.Otherwise ,you risk making reading a chore.

LearningHowToScream Sun 06-Nov-16 17:49:05

Hi I'm a Y3/4 teacher, we never read a whole book in one sitting. Reading time is about pleasure and understanding, sometimes in our group read we'll only read 3 pages in 20 minutes, we'll spend time discussing the plot, characters, developing inference skills, dictionary skills and so on. As children work towards a higher level they read for understanding not stamina.

mrz Sun 06-Nov-16 17:50:36

Id much rather he read less but read it himself without a parents support

5moreminutes Sun 06-Nov-16 17:55:51

We've always been told they should read aloud for 10 minutes, rather than aim to finish a certain number of pages. That is regardless of age, including older children who choose their own books to read to themselves but who are still supposed to read aloud to parents (so you only get snapshots of the story read aloud because they often read on in between).

TeacherBob Sun 06-Nov-16 18:12:23

in year 1 i ask my parents to read 5-10 mins and enjoy it

Hiddeninplainsight Sun 06-Nov-16 19:34:42

Brat my two are incredibly different. One thrives off challenge, the other struggles with doubt when he finds something challenging. One does everything at top speed, other takes a more moderate pace. I'm not trying to rush one through the levels, clearly I don't care if they are at the same level at the same age. But I was wondering if expecting the same fluency (e.g.a book a night) was unfair on Dc2. So not a competition, just trying to understand most appropriate methods for a different child smile

Hiddeninplainsight Sun 06-Nov-16 19:37:07

Mrz thank you. That is really exactly what I was wondering. He likes the share method, but I wasn't sure if it hinders the development of his own comprehension.

Hiddeninplainsight Sun 06-Nov-16 19:42:29

Thank you all. I've read your comments in reverse. I will switch to letting him do half the book (at this stage), and go from there. I am not sure if he is slow. I know DC1 was very fast (and accurate), and so I just need to adjust approach accordingly. Thank you flowers

sirfredfredgeorge Sun 06-Nov-16 19:43:59

DD just got a ORT stage 9 (a gold one I think that's the same - how to be a pirate), she's notionally on Orange and it was in the wrong pile when she chose it apparently, and I looked it up 'cos it seemed a bit longer than we normally take - it was no more complicated in phonics, but was longer.

It was still only 20 minutes of reading though, against 10 for the last book we had, and a couple of the words were genuinely new to her (grappling).

Good book though, I quite like the Big Cat ones, better than most.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now