Advanced search

Coming back from abroad

(12 Posts)
Whitemousse Thu 03-Nov-16 18:42:28

My DD will be starting reception next September and my son will be starting year 4. We are returning to the UK in June. When should I apply for a school place? These will be state schools.
Advice appreciated

smellyboot Thu 03-Nov-16 18:53:01

As soon as you have an actual address that you live at then contact the relevant local authority

LIZS Thu 03-Nov-16 18:57:04

Ideally you would have a permanent address by early Jan to avoid making a late application for reception. Do you know the area you plan to return to well enough to identify your preferred schools. If you leave it until the summer your DC will be fitted in to whichever schools have space, possibly not the same one or nearby.

Whitemousse Thu 03-Nov-16 18:58:02

We already have a home that we will be moving into. Will that help with applying now?

Whitemousse Thu 03-Nov-16 19:00:05

LIZS- I have lived here before and know the schools already.

LIZS Thu 03-Nov-16 19:00:36

You need to speak to LA as to whether having the address but not living there would still qualify you to use it for a reception application in January. Is it currently let or occupied? Your Ds in year application will need to wait until he is available to take the place up as they cannot allocate one and hold it open.

Shurelyshomemistake Thu 03-Nov-16 21:09:02

Are either of you in the armed forces or a crown servant?

Whitemousse Fri 04-Nov-16 02:10:48

My husband's been working abroad, but kids are not enjoying it so will be moving back. Not the armed forces or anything. The house is occupied. I will contact the LA ASAP.

ifink Fri 04-Nov-16 02:39:47

I think it varies from LA to LA - I'm doing the same in December and thankfully my LA will allow me to apply from abroad as long as I send them copies of the kids passports to prove Citizenship. Timing is an issue as places can't be 'held' - so my LA has advised applying no more than 2 weeks before we arrive as they normally take 10 days to respond with an offer and then we have to take it up.

prh47bridge Fri 04-Nov-16 09:48:31

ifink is right. This is down to the LA. Some LAs allow people to apply from abroad, others won't accept an application until you are back in the UK (apart from armed forces and crown servants - they can always apply from abroad). You need to contact them and find out their policy.

mrsmortis Fri 04-Nov-16 11:25:39

In my LA they did allow us to use our UK address when applying for a reception place. If the rules say that you can I'd advise you to get it in writing from the LA that that section applies to you.

For your older child my LA lets you apply for a place a maximum of half a term before you are going to need it. You should check with your LA what they allow.

Whitemousse Fri 04-Nov-16 12:51:56

Thanks all. I've contacted my LA who said I need a tenancy agreement of when I will be moving in and a council tax bill. And let them know when I'll be moving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now