Talk

Advanced search

Hampstead Hill School - any experience?

(12 Posts)
firstimer30s Wed 02-Nov-16 17:22:38

Hello
Has anyone got experience of Hampstead Hill School?
Considering it for 3 yr old but would love any feedback!
smile

horsemadmom Wed 02-Nov-16 19:41:50

All 3 of my DCs went to HHS. Loved it! What do you want to know?

lunchboxtroubles Wed 02-Nov-16 20:57:52

A relative of mine left a couple of years ago. You go there to get into good schools at 7+. They want you to stay til 7 - if you sit anywhere at 4 or 5, they won't guarantee your next year's place. I liked the owner when I went to look round but figured I would at least double the fees in the amount of parking tickets I would get dropping off and picking up!

horsemadmom Wed 02-Nov-16 23:47:45

Regarding 4+/7+, you are certainly welcome to sit 4+ (my DD1 left at that point) for NLCS, SHHS, St. Christopher's etc. And Boys sit for the4+ and 5+ at The Hall. HHS just wants to have you down for the pre-prep to know how many places will be available for new starters. There's no financial penalty involved in leaving before 7. It's just good manners to let them know if you are planning on staying for pre-prep. You'd be shocked at the number who don't communicate that.
Parking is always stressful but it's no better at any of the other Hampstead schools. Find a good car share rota if possible- cuts down your risk. I only got one PCN in 10 years (3 kids) and that was because DS hid in the toilets at going home time to avoid his ballet lesson. There is a fair amount of parking in South End Green if you are tactical about drop off time.

lunchboxtroubles Thu 03-Nov-16 19:45:19

Horsemadmom you may be out of date as your kids are in sixth form now. HAS make it very clear that anyone sitting 4 and 5 plus cannot guarantee their place in reception/Y1 at HHS

lovinbeingmum Fri 04-Nov-16 15:14:57

Hi firsttimer,

Do you have any specific queries? We have been there since the little one was 2. For the early years, I really don't think there is a better place. Great pastoral care. They are very well taken care of, learn so much (without realising they are learning), get good warm food for lunch. The teachers are extremely approachable and at least I feel that we are working as a team.

On the 4+/5+ debate, yes, they do ask you to let them know if you are sitting assessments. And yes, you are not guaranteed a spot for reception if you are sitting assessments (like it would be at any nursery I suppose). But, again, as I said, it is not antagonistic rather a team approach. Friends who left at 4+ had a chat with the headmistress and were quite pleased with her feedback on the child, which school they would be suited to etc. The children were prepped for the assessments. There are lots of kids who have gone on to their number one choice schools at 4+/5+.

However, from Reception onwards, the school is a bit of a mixed bag. That is a whole other conversation.

So, finally, for a 3 year old - go for it! Its a great place!

newmummycwharf1 Fri 04-Nov-16 18:56:45

We are also hoping to get a place at HHS for our 2 year old. We would be planning to move on at 4 - hopefully to The Hall or somewhere similar that goes to 13. I had thought we would stay to 7 if we dont get our preferred 4 plus schools. What do you mean by mixed bag @lovingbeingmum

firstimer30s Fri 04-Nov-16 21:20:55

Thanks all . I suppose the real question is whether it is somewhere you'd recommend staying in after 4+?

firstimer30s Fri 04-Nov-16 22:04:38

Lovebeingamum, are you planning on keeping your DCs there after Reception?

lovinbeingmum Fri 04-Nov-16 23:38:25

We stayed on because we really like the school.

What I mean by mixed bag is more to do with the whole 7+/11+ debate. If 7+ is the chosen path, then one has to be ready for the pressure of preparation. Some kids may not be.

As of now I feel the school is managing children of different interests and abilities really well......but then we are not yet done and dusted with the process.....I continue to hope for the best....

lunchboxtroubles Sat 05-Nov-16 11:35:04

lovinbeingmum the threat of losing your reception place if you sit elsewhere is not at all standard for pre preps. It isn't the case at Golders Hill, annemount or the avenue. I think it's a disgusting this to do to parents at a stressful time. Of course you have to give a terms notice if you're leaving but the place should be open until you give that notice, whether or not you sit elsewhere.

TinyTear Thu 10-Nov-16 15:03:33

we had our eldest there from 2 to 4.5 and now she moved to Reception in one of the local state schools. She was there in classes 1, 3 and 5 and it was great. nothing to complain and the teachers were great.

my youngest starts there in January at just under 2 and will also stay until the end of pre-reception

i have also heard mixed reviews from reception onwards, but from 2yo to pre-reception i reccomend it wholeheartedly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now