Talk

Advanced search

Horizontal addition. Counting on method.

(23 Posts)
winkywinkybumbum Mon 31-Oct-16 08:43:14

Please can someone explain how this works? My child has an example from school but the line starts with the lower number and ends in the highest number.

In my mind, you have the higher number at the start then add your lower number on.

I think I am totally getting the wrong end of the stick with this and my child has helpfully forgotten everything they had learned before half term confused

I have tried googling but I think I am confusing myself even more.

Back to school tomorrow and wishing I had asked this question last week when I first looked!

Any help gratefully received. flowers

TealGiraffe Mon 31-Oct-16 08:45:34

Are you sure its addition? Sounds like subtraction using counting on.

winkywinkybumbum Mon 31-Oct-16 08:49:24

Definitely addition. She has to use the counting on method and column method for the same sums to see if she gets the same answer. I shall get a pic of the work sheet....

winkywinkybumbum Mon 31-Oct-16 08:53:26

She says that the example you can see on the page was exactly how it was written by the teacher. I see it as a subtraction method but apparently it is addition.

winkywinkybumbum Mon 31-Oct-16 08:56:54

The example you can see was exactly how it was written on the board. To me it looks like a subtraction method.

basketofironing Mon 31-Oct-16 08:58:10

Okay. This is one of the methods I hate teaching because it's stupidly complicated to explain. Plus the teachers method looks shit. Not how I'd do it at all!

Basically:
Add to the nearest 10 (so in example +3 to get to 90)
Then add as many 10s/100s as you need to.
Then add whatever's left.

Give me 5 mins and I'll do a better example for you. That one is awful.

basketofironing Mon 31-Oct-16 09:02:47

Sorry for it being a bit scribbly, had a baby sleeping on me!
Not sure if that makes any more sense to you.
Add 5 to make 70, then add the 29, then the hundreds (can do in one lump if confident with that) then whatever is left of the first number.

irvineoneohone Mon 31-Oct-16 09:07:59

Example definitely looks like subtraction(finding the difference).
basketofironing's example makes sense, but looks like complicating simple addition even more. Why they do that? Maybe ok for small numbers, but 3 digits doesn't make sense to me.

sirfredfredgeorge Mon 31-Oct-16 09:11:35

What's the reasoning beyond just adding the 7 to start with? Is it because the counting in 10's when the number is a round 10 is supposedly easier?

irvineoneohone Mon 31-Oct-16 09:12:26

I would do it by jumping 300 to 365, then 20 to 385, then 7 to get to 392, if you have to use numberline...confused

winkywinkybumbum Mon 31-Oct-16 09:13:48

This is just not sinking in. I'm sorry to be a pain but would you mind doing the first sum on the work sheet so I can see how it SHOULD look please? My daughter and I are both having meltdowns about this.

winkywinkybumbum Mon 31-Oct-16 09:18:45

Oh hang on...I think i get it.

basketofironing Mon 31-Oct-16 09:19:58

To PP who said it overcomplicates simple addition- I agree but it's what we have to teach. Like i said, I hate this method!

See photo OP. I've added a bit of explanation of each step.

basketofironing Mon 31-Oct-16 09:20:50

Though having read the sheet fully, I'm struggling to understand why the teacher is getting them to do this alongside column addition. Just really confusing!!!

GraceGrape Mon 31-Oct-16 09:23:38

The example shown is not correct. They have shown how to do 246-87 not 246 add 87 (sorry, can't find add sign on my phone).

If you were doing 246 add 87 on a number line you could either do a jump of 80, then a jump of 7 or you could jump 4 to get to 250, then jump 50 to get to 300 then jump 30, then 3 so that you have jumped 87 in total.

If you start with both numbers on the numberline, like in the example, this is using a counting on method to work out a subtraction find the difference).

GraceGrape Mon 31-Oct-16 09:26:39

Unless they have shown the counting on method to check the answer from the column addition (using the inverse)? If so, this isn't explained correctly. I would have a word with the teacher to check.

GraceGrape Mon 31-Oct-16 09:29:48

Sorry, am confusing myself about this! Ignore my last post. Even if using the inverse to check, the example is still wrong and only shows 246-87.

winkywinkybumbum Mon 31-Oct-16 09:33:03

I know! Super confusing but we both understand now. Thank you so much for taking the time to show me. flowers

Believeitornot Mon 31-Oct-16 09:33:23

My ds uses this method and it's actually brilliant for him (and me).

His brain - and mine - work slightly differently so traditional column methods don't quite work. This helps to better "visualise" what is going on with addition - that's how I see sums in my head. Weird kind of pictures.

Maybe she is offerig two methods? (The teacher)

winkywinkybumbum Mon 31-Oct-16 09:35:36

Sorry didn't see your posts Grace. Yes, example is definitely wrong as far as I can see. Will be speaking with the teacher as it has caused some minor panic today. I have asked DD a number of times if she was sure that the example was exactly how it was written and she is sure so perhaps teacher having a moment. We've all been there!

GraceGrape Mon 31-Oct-16 09:42:03

Yup, I've been there! Actually the counting on method is what a lot of us do mentally without realising it. It's just very hard to explain on paper....

winkywinkybumbum Mon 31-Oct-16 09:50:26

Funny you should say that, it's the method I use myself. Just when presented with an incorrect example, you doubt your own abilities. grin

irvineoneohone Mon 31-Oct-16 10:31:15

I've checked ds' school's calculation policy.
If it's 3 digits, jump starts with 100s, then 10s and ones last.
So, it differs from school to school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now