Talk

Advanced search

Help and advice to boost 8year olds self esteem

(5 Posts)
Stickytoffeepuddings Sun 30-Oct-16 00:01:18

My DS is 8 and is really struggling at school specifically with spellings, he has ended up with the same spelling sheet as his sister who is 3 years younger. He isn't stupid at all but just struggles with spelling, this situation has left him utterly de morilised wrt all his school work and is very upsetting for both of us. When he was 6 he was assessed by and educational psychologist for dyslexia but found notbto have it. Just looking for any tips please, thanks

EleanorRigby123 Sun 30-Oct-16 14:37:59

I would back off the spellings. In the absence of any specific difficulties, he he will either get it eventually or not - and there is not much you can do to change this. Spending lots of time on something you can't do is counter productive. Continue to read to him yourself and try to inspire a love of books. Try to avoid any comparisons with his DSis' word list.

At the same time, can you identify things he is good at or could become good at - sport, music, cooking, drawing etc and encourage him to spend time on those things.

Non competitive activities like Beavers/Cubs foster independence and are also good for self esteem.

SisterViktorine Sun 30-Oct-16 20:00:33

I totally disagree with the above. I would address it and as he catches up/ improves his confidence will build.

I would recommend Apples and Pears. It's time consuming and you have to make a big commitment to it, but it really works.

Stickytoffeepuddings Sun 30-Oct-16 22:58:50

Thank you both, he is really sporty, but unfortunatly his school is very small 32 kids in whole school, so any sport there is non competitive, thus struggling to see a way to build self esteem within school, which is leads him to having a negative attitude towards learning in school, I've considered moving him but he doesn't want to because of his friends. Outside of school he plays rugby and is excelling with that and is committed to Cubs, loves it!
Will look into apples and pears thanks.
I never compare the children, but find they do themselves, and do discourage it and explain that everyone is different some are better at certain things, find certain things easier than others and we like doing different things because we are all different.

Ferguson Tue 01-Nov-16 19:42:33

It is important children UNDERSTAND how spelling and Phonics 'works'; for some children this may not be explained by teachers in a way they can follow.

Therefore you could consider an inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics. It is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’ and my name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now