How are your school shoes holding up so far?

(37 Posts)
ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 27-Oct-16 12:20:57

Thought I would ask as that's the first term over and I know from previous threads a lot of people are replacing or have already replaced shoes by now.

So what did you buy and how well are they holding up?

DD's school shoes this year are Startrite princess serena. I got them online reduced to £25 from £47 and I am impressed. This is the first year we have bought startrite (previously tried clarks, Lelli Kelly, Tesco and Riscosta).

The shoes still look really good so far. Small scuff on one toe that polishes out, soles still holding up with only a little bit of wear on the heels. By the looks of things they should last beyond Christmas and into the new year. DDs feet usually grow around Feb/ March so I'm hoping they last fine until then. DD is relatively easy in shoes though so that does make a difference.

We are in Scotland so shoes have now been in use for 10 weeks but at least a week of that has been holiday so probably closer to 8/9 weeks worth of wear.

Toffeelatteplease Thu 27-Oct-16 12:26:35

DD clarks Adult as good as new.
DS kickers over a year old. a little scuffed but nothing really wrong with them but starting to get to the stage where the leather is softer (less ankle support) so may replace them at some point after Christmas

Tomorrowillbeachicken Thu 27-Oct-16 13:17:11

DS broke his first pair from next in first few weeks of term. His Asda emergency pair are doing well.

RaingodswithZippos Thu 27-Oct-16 13:20:37

DS is in Clarks adult shoes, his black pair are from last year (May) and in perfect condition. He bought himself a pair of brown brogues from Clarks at the start of October for a bit of variety, and they look unworn. He is in army cadets though and is obsessed with polishing his shoes every night hmm

Caroian Thu 27-Oct-16 13:56:16

My reception child is in Clarks - they are a proper leather shoe style rather than a "trainer-y" style. He doesn't treat shoes particularly gently, but they look like new bar the natural creases across the top where the leather flexes. I do clean, Polish and scuff protect them religiously every day though.

MiaowTheCat Thu 27-Oct-16 18:49:00

DD1's Asda emergency pair (ill-timed growth spurt) were holding up really quite decently despite her best attempts at wrecking them on the climbing wall thing, balance bikes and scootering down hills without the use of an actual brake.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Thu 27-Oct-16 19:00:08

Reception aged DS has a pair from Geox. They look new! Were eye wateringly expensive at £45 but worth every penny as there's not a mark on them despite his best efforts.

CartwheelGirl Thu 27-Oct-16 19:15:41

Ours from TK Maxx lasted a week! But we returned them and got money back, so no big deal. It was a buckle that broke. It's a shame that girls shoes are so impractical in their design, I'd prefer something more like trainers. But then they wouldn't go with a skirt, and there is no trousers option for girls in our school angry

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 27-Oct-16 19:23:30

The three pairs of Clarks shoes are all fine, still look almost new.

The pair of Toughees lasted five weeks before one shoe fell apart (more than half of the sole detached from rest of shoe). Returned them and got a refund, which I did not spend on another pair of Toughees.

RueDeWakening Thu 27-Oct-16 20:34:32

DD age 9 has Angry Angels "Impulsive" brogues at the moment and has scuffed the toes quite badly. I'm not too impressed, she had kickers tbar last time and they were in much better condition, I think we'll probably go back to those next time.

DS age 6 has Geox William which I'm impressed with, they're showing very little sign of wear and he's very heavy on shoes - finished last year with a massive hole in both shoes, having worn through the sole on the ball of his foot...

OdinsLoveChild Thu 27-Oct-16 20:59:38

I've replaced 2 pairs already both were expensive (£40+ a pair) and both were well regarded brands (Kickers and Clarks). I've resorted to gluing the 2nd pair of kickers back together because I refuse to pay for yet another pair. This is the first year I've had issues with the shoes so I'm assuming they're using a new manufacturing technique hmm

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Thu 27-Oct-16 21:06:54

Three primary aged kids in Startrite. Shoes look great, and should last all year, as have the other 10 pairs of Startrite shoes they've worn (in total) so far in their school careers.

Ds1 has an all-leather traditional style, ds2 has slightly more robust ones which look a bit more like trainers and dd has Mary Janes. We will get her some ankle boots when the weather gets cold.

Sleeperandthespindle Thu 27-Oct-16 21:07:52

Reception boy has startrite shoes. Despite regular polishing they look awful. Soles are good though and they're not actually broken. Year 3 girl has startrite lace ups. They still look quite nice.

thisagain Thu 27-Oct-16 22:23:34

My year 1 son has Clarks. They still look new. He had the exact same pair (but half a size smaller) that lasted all through reception. Ended up looking fairly worn but not terrible.

ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 27-Oct-16 22:23:51

Wow I can't believe some of you have had to replace expensive shoes so soon! shock I was expecting maybe some comments on scuffed up toes and soles worn down a bit too quickly and maybe some outgrown shoes. Cheaper brands (Tesco and the like) perhaps needing replaced as I know from personal experience that they tend not to last as long. Some people are happy to go down the cheap and replace 2/3 times a year and that's fine but I would think if you spend £40 on a pair of shoes they would last longer. Although from what's been said Asda appear to be holding up better than some of the expensive brands. I must have a look at their shoes next time I'm in - how do the come up width wise? We need a narrow fit.

For the falling off soles have any of you tried out the shoe goo stuff at all? DH uses this on his DR Marten boots and has kept them going long past when I would have thrown them out (think huge chunks of missing leather, cracks and sole seperating at the sides). Not the prettiest repair but it works. I can put up a photo of said repaired shoes if anyone is curious.

Clarks appear to be doing well this year. I know clarks gets a bad rep on here at times so maybe they have improved their quality this year.

Ordins I'm surprised at the kickers falling apart. They are usually a good sturdy brand. I would have expected them to out last clarks and startrite etc.

Out of curiosity has anyone taking the shoes back (other than cartwheel). I'm generally not the complaining type but if shoes less than 3 months old fell apart and the sole was hanging off I would be tempted.

catkind Thu 27-Oct-16 22:24:27

Ended up with start-rite for both. Looking great. So chuffed we found DD "Chloe" style, they're girly enough to keep her happy and not the usual flimsy Mary Jane things. And were in the sale to boot.

Etak15 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:32:51

My dd's: reception, y2 & y4 clarks look like new the trick is patent they last the whole school year, and to always try the next half size up to what they measure (obviously make sure they fit properly don't be buying falling off shoes!) we are lucky enough to live nr an outlet clarks so ours were £20 ish each instead of £40

Yokohamajojo Fri 28-Oct-16 09:18:17

Interesting thread!

DS1 in Y5 got a pair of VANs which were on sale, they are black leather with laces. I thought they were going to last a couple of weeks but actually have held up very well and looks brand new. He thinks they are very cool...

DS2 in Y3 started with last year's Clarks and they soon perished and got a hole on the sole. Got an emergency cheap pair of Lonsdale from Sports Direct which I said I would never do again but so far so good.

normage Fri 28-Oct-16 09:27:44

I agree with the comment about patent. I bought my dd a pair for the new school year and they look like new. Last year, I couldn't afford Clarks, so bought a cheap pair and then another cheap pair................. and I ended up buying her four cheap pairs in a school year, costing more than the Clarks would have done. So this year, I made sure I had enough money for Clarks and these should last her all year. If she grows out of them, I will buy the ballet type shoe from Asda, which are £6 and fine for a summer shoe.

Thingvellir Fri 28-Oct-16 09:33:08

DDs clarks (bought in June so had a few weeks wear in summer term) are absolutely trashed. Leather scuffed, soft, creased and peeling. The rubber soles are all cracked and worn and chunks fallen off from sides. She will be in boots from John Lewis for the winter months after we go back next week. Can't believe a £40 pair of shoes can be so crap.

DS in M&S, bought also in June as his feet grew a lot inconveniently mid year, his shoes still look completely like new, cost £22.

Boys shoes are so much more hard wearing than girls though, which annoys me no end. And M&S stop the little girl shoes at size 2, DD is only 8 but a 3 already.

lljkk Fri 28-Oct-16 10:00:19

Last pr 8yo ds had, lasted > 1 yr, actually, replaced 7 days ago, so not yet worn at school even.

wornoutboots Fri 28-Oct-16 15:34:15

the cheap ones from morrison's for my boys (age 6 and nearly 4) are still looking good despite their deplorable habit of using their toes as brakes rather than using the perfectly good brakes on their scooters.

Missymoo1987 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:53:10

My daughter has Dr Martins (usually go for cheap and buy 3/4 pairs a year) but got fed up so spent the money this year and so far it appears to be paying off as they are looking good but I do worry about her having a sudden growth spurt!!!

eckythumpenallthat Fri 28-Oct-16 16:57:26

dd is in patent Lelli Kellis. They were the only shoe we could get that fitted her g/h width and I have Mixed opinions..the sole is wearing well as dd is quite heavy footed. Velcro doing good and isn't losing its stick or curling. One shoe is pristine. The other. Gah. She fell over last week and scuffed the patent off the other shoe down to the leather. Only a tiny tiny patch but it's proper annoying me. But apart from that, baring in mi d the playing and climbing and crawling around they do in reception they could be a lot worse

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 28-Oct-16 17:00:55

Dd1 in angry angels.

So far so good still look in good condition.

Dd2 in Kickers the bars. They are scuffed but soles not to worn down yet. Fared pretty well considering how heavy she is on shoes.

Should bloody hope so at 52 pounds and 44 pounds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now