Reception birthday.... too young?

(26 Posts)
Xmasfairy86 Thu 20-Oct-16 18:35:20

Quick poll.

Would you leave your reception aged child at the cinema for a birthday thing?

My DD was 5 before term started so am going to do something in the half term with a few friends she's made. She has asked to go see a film, but where as she is very old/capable and emotionally grown up some of her peers are a very young 4 and I think too young to be left/parents not comfortable leaving.

Just checking I'm not backing out of something before it's been considered.

Propertyquandry Thu 20-Oct-16 18:37:22

Absolutely not. There is no way I'd leave even the most mature 5yr old at the cinema without adult supervision. I didn't allow the until senior school.

RicStar Thu 20-Oct-16 18:37:49

I would not leave DD because she finds the cinema loud and a bit scary (even light films) but I am sure she is on the very sensitive side so lots would

AChickenCalledKorma Thu 20-Oct-16 18:38:02

I'd have been extremely nervous about leaving DD1 at that age. Summer birthday and very easily scared ... I don't think we took her to the cinema at all until she was about 7! Might have left her if she knew the mum in charge very well, but even that would have been a risk.

RicStar Thu 20-Oct-16 18:41:29

But there would be adults I assume just not the guests parents. Ds might get upset so I would want to go to but would be happy to pay for my ticket

daisiesinherfootsteps Thu 20-Oct-16 18:41:42

I wouldn't at all as my DD also finds the cinema v loud and a bit scary. However, I can see that other reception aged kids might be ok - if they know you well already. I can't imagine many parents who don't know you well would be ok with this quite so young.

Xmasfairy86 Thu 20-Oct-16 18:51:12

Thanks all. Of course me and DP would be there!

But they've only been full time for a week and we don't know many of them let alone the parents!!

Thinking soft play may be a better idea!

strawberrypenguin Thu 20-Oct-16 18:55:37

Nope because my soon to be 5 year old DS has never been to the cinema as he gets bored and wanders off half way through films if we try and watch one at home. Soft play is a better idea I think (or we are doing a small 5 friend build a bear party over half term)

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 20-Oct-16 19:00:22

My two wouldn't have liked to be left in the care of an unknown adult at that age let alone in a cinema which is dark and loud and they might have been a bit scared of the film (DS cried at the scary robots in the Postman Pat Movie aged 5!)

Xmasfairy86 Thu 20-Oct-16 19:01:37

Build a bear was the other option strawberry

Mrscog Thu 20-Oct-16 20:05:30

I wouldn't with 4.5 year old DS - he doesn't have the concentration span to watch a whole cinema film and I'd worry he'd ruin it for the others. We did Finding Dory over the summer and he wanted to go after 45 minutes!

If I could trust him to enjoy it and I knew you I would definitely consider though.

MiaowTheCat Thu 20-Oct-16 20:09:32

DD1 (reception age) gets quite upset by even the mildly scary bits in films easily, then bawls her eyes out at anything remotely approaching a sad bit (I am never ever ever ever ever showing The Snowman again!) so I wouldn't be happy risking it with her to be honest - she's OK when I'm there and can remind her how we've done lots of talking about how stories have a bit where it goes wrong and then a happy ending, but I don't think she'd be the same with other people.

Sounds bonkers I've discussed the plot structure with her like that but it really was enough to calm down loads of it with her - DD1 is a bloody funny kettle of fish!

NapQueen Thu 20-Oct-16 20:11:13

Nope.

Hersetta427 Fri 21-Oct-16 08:43:10

I would take your daughter by herself and do something else as a birthday party.

Leatherboundanddown Fri 21-Oct-16 08:46:35

I would as dd (5) loves the cinema and would be ok. She actually went to the cinema with my friend and her dd (same age) on Tues as it is half term here and I was working (thank you friend!)

With two adults I think you would be fine with say, 4 reception age children IF they liked cinemas. My dd and her friends would be ok with this. Min 2 adults though incase one needs the toilet so only one adult and that child needs to get up.

Leatherboundanddown Fri 21-Oct-16 08:47:07

By the way if you are thinking of watching Trolls it is apparently quite scary ish.

Caroian Fri 21-Oct-16 09:58:48

I would leave my almost 5 year old with another parent at the cinema, but we've been going fairly regularly for a couple of years. I think a lot of parents wouldn't and because you don't know the kids and parents well, you can't really know in advance. You also can't know which kids may freak even at things that don't - at face value - seem like they would be scary.

However, I wouldn't do a cinema trip as a birthday thing with friends at this stage anyway. If you think about it, it's a group of kids sitting in the dark staring at a screen. I'd be more likely to do a "movie" afternoon at home - make popcorn, kids can chat and play a bit too. The cinema is ever the most social occasion but it becomes so as adults where we often combine with food or drinks and we enjoy discussing the film together afterwards. I'd take her on her own to see what she wants to see, and do something else with other kids.

whatsagoodusername Fri 21-Oct-16 10:05:38

I think it would depend on the number of children, the film, and the number of accompanying adults.

Four or five kids, two adults, a film I'm happy for the DC to watch, no problem. I'd wave them off happily.

Eight or ten kids, then I'd be concerned that there wasn't enough adult supervision. I'd probably stay for the film too, just somewhere else in the theatre (and not expect you to pay for it).

TeenAndTween Fri 21-Oct-16 11:14:22

No Not Build A Bear! One of the most stressful experiences ever! Have you been to one? Loud, over-bright hell on earth.

Soft play. Or a small party for 6 at home lasting no more than 90minutes.

Autumnsky Fri 21-Oct-16 11:32:54

I think 5 is too young to have a film party. We had a film party when DS1 was 7, and followed with restruant in the same building. We had 8 children, with 3 adults ,as one mum stayed since she was a bit worried about her son. I was glad that she stayed. As we had to take some children to toilet during the film, 3 adults made things easier. They did enjoy the film very much.

Autumnsky Fri 21-Oct-16 11:34:52

This age, it is quite good to stay at home or hire a hall.

Witchend Fri 21-Oct-16 11:58:13

Reduce down number of children and invite parents to stay maybe? Dd2, who is old in the year and you would think very mature etc had to be taken out of the cinema in year R when she went with a friend because she got so upset. Something you wouldn't think of as being a problem too.
However I had to be taken out of Bedknobs and Broomsticks age 3yo too so it may run in the family. wink

irvineoneohone Fri 21-Oct-16 13:51:43

Reception aged children, IMO, definitely need parents to stay.
Even one child gets upset, wet themselves, etc, etc, you have to look after them, when you should really be enjoying dd's birthday.

I saw that happened even with 6 years olds, soft play. The birthday mum had to keep taking care of one particular child who was really naughty. Spend most of the time trying to get him out from toilet, stop him throwing food and clearing after him etc. I stayed because she was my friend, and I helped her, but still, star of the party was definitely not her ds.

catkind Fri 21-Oct-16 16:01:12

DVD at home with popcorn maybe? then when they get bored or scared they can go and bop party balloons around in another room, and parents can stay if they want.

catkind Fri 21-Oct-16 16:03:06

IME it can be the mature ones who get upset. They have more imagination and empathy when it comes to bad stuff happening and relating it to real life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now