Talk

Advanced search

Secondary school admission question

(9 Posts)
SchoolQ Wed 05-Oct-16 12:13:02

After a conversation with 2 friends today we wondered if anyone knew the answer.

This isn't applicable to any of us yet (maybe never will be) and shouldn't be an issue anyway as children usually get in from where we all live.

If you have multiples in Y6 and one has a statement/ehcp naming a secondary school for Y7. Do(es) your other multiple(s) qualify under the having a sibling at the school criteria? The criteria say has a sibling, step sibling etc living at the same address at the school in the September of entry.

swampster Wed 05-Oct-16 12:15:15

Not sure but if entry wasn't automatic the sibling would go right to the top of any waiting list.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 05-Oct-16 12:15:42

Multiples are excepted children in the sense of if twin one was allocated the last place in regular admissions then they would admit twin two as an extra child.
Your situation is a bit different, I would suggest contacting tamba, they can advise and have free legal help if you need to appeal at the time.

SchoolQ Wed 05-Oct-16 12:25:26

Thanks.

None of us are in this situation yet, our multiples aren't in Y6 but the other 2 friends do have other DC in Y6. Over brew and cake we were just musing what would happen grin

And I didn't think excepted children applied to secondary admissions?

Loueytb3 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:01:06

It depends on the school admission criteria. We are in that situation. One of the secondary schools we are looking at specifically states in its admissions criteria:

"Where twins are concerned and one twin has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education Health and Care Plan that names the school the other twin will be treated as having a sibling link
for that academic year."

When we were applying for primary school however, we would have had to wait for DTS1 to start at the school before we could claim sibling priority for DTS2 (as we wouldn't get a place on distance). In reality, they went to different schools so we never had to test it.

prh47bridge Wed 05-Oct-16 14:20:48

You are correct that excepted children only apply to admissions to Reception, Y1 and Y2.

As Loueytb3 says it depends on the admission criteria. If they are as you say and there is nothing else about siblings then yes, a child admitted through an EHCP or statement would give sibling priority to their twin/triplets/etc.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 05-Oct-16 20:23:00

sorry not excepted children - however in my LEA at least the admission procedure is if one multiple is offered a place they have to accept the other child/children.
This is the case in our academies also , which the exception of the grammar school for obvious reasons.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 05-Oct-16 20:23:32

*with

SchoolQ Thu 06-Oct-16 13:23:29

Brilliant, I can tell the others.

Loueytb3 I like that the secondary school explicitly says that. I hope you get the school/s you want for your DTs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now