Getting a reading book twice

(16 Posts)
JosephineMaynard Mon 03-Oct-16 17:49:35

DS1 (5) has come home tonight with a reading book that he got a fortnight ago.

Is there a likely reason for this other than teacher getting mixed up?

GetTheGoodLookingGuy Mon 03-Oct-16 18:00:33

That, or the fact that he insisted he hasn't had it before despite being shown where it was written in his reading record that he had and the teacher got fed up of arguing with him and just thought 'sod it!' disgruntled TA here

smellyboot Mon 03-Oct-16 18:54:38

My dd used to try this trick to make her life easier lol The other trick both mine do is to pick a book they already have at home too so they know it by heart already. Pop a note in reading log and ask for a new one. Job done

Gizlotsmum Mon 03-Oct-16 18:56:42

My son seems to have books on rotation because he likes them

JosephineMaynard Mon 03-Oct-16 19:03:50

He recognised it as one he'd had before when I got it out, maybe he liked it better than I realised last time!

irvineoneohone Mon 03-Oct-16 19:55:51

My ds used to bring home same books again and again. But he used to bring home 3 books a day at the time, so there weren't lots of choice.
I think reading same book again is good thing though.

Coconut0il Mon 03-Oct-16 20:20:11

Could be a mistake or he could've chosen it again. I always let children re read a book if they ask for it.

paxillin Mon 03-Oct-16 20:23:45

Attempt to get an easy book?

Ginmummy1 Mon 03-Oct-16 20:24:44

Happened to DD right at the start of Reception. The fourth book she came home with was the same as the first! 'Simple' (but very unimpressive) mistake by the teacher.

TeacherBob Mon 03-Oct-16 20:26:46

Happens all the time.

Try changing 30 books in limited time and making sure you never duplicate.

Parents complain, I roll eyes.

When you buy your children a book, do you only ever read it once and never repeat read?

obsessed1 Mon 03-Oct-16 20:29:55

Not that big of a deal i would have thought. As pp said, put in a polite note and it'll be sorted.

paxillin Mon 03-Oct-16 20:35:06

Do the kids pick their own books? Ours do, they get told what bookband and from that box they pick what they want. Once they are Harry Potter level they pick what they want from all bands. Some will then find the thinnest, easiest Biff Chip and Kipper for an easy ride grin.

Sunnydawn Mon 03-Oct-16 20:38:52

The books are often changed by a TA, who is working from a huge folder with 30 books to change in five minutes or so.

If someone forgot to tick the book out, she probably doesn't realise that your DC has read it before. Just make a note in the record, and it will he picked up.

There are usually armies of volunteers, as well as TA's and support assistants reading during the day, and the odd book gets overlooked.

gallicgirl Tue 04-Oct-16 14:58:38

It happens occasionally and it's not a big deal. Sometimes I put a note in the reading journal, sometimes I just tell my daughter to change the book.

Longlost10 Tue 04-Oct-16 17:07:25

maybe he liked it?

jamdonut Tue 04-Oct-16 23:46:10

In my experience , some children just like to re-read books that they feel comfortable with. It doesn't hurt from time to time, as long as it is not all the time.
And, sometimes ,we make the odd mistake when 'multitasking'.

Is it really a problem?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now