Talk

Advanced search

Welsh at primary

(5 Posts)
CheerfullyIndifferent Mon 03-Oct-16 11:06:59

We are in the process of relocating from South East England to South Wales and we should make the move in the next 12 months. DD is currently in Y3 and should be going to an English medium primary. How much Welsh is there at that stage? Should I start introducing her to the language or is it basic enough that she should be able to follow/pick up? Husband is Welsh, doesn't speak the language fluently but can teach the sounds and pronunciation, which he does know. Or am worrying too much about this? TIA for any advice smile

Comiconce Mon 03-Oct-16 11:28:25

The level at primary school seems pretty basic to be honest and I don't think your dd will have a problem. flowers

irvineoneohone Mon 03-Oct-16 11:49:37

Free website. It maybe fun for dd to learn!

www.duolingo.com/course/cy/en/Learn-Welsh-Online

MrsGwyn Mon 03-Oct-16 11:52:20

I worried as moved with older children than that - one yr 6.

Spoke with secondary at opening night after we'd just got here and they said it would be fine. As it was in one school year the reached 4C level before starting - 4 is an acceptable level.

First Welsh lesson she explain she'd only been learning a year - ask for words she knew she knew more than some who been learning all their primary years.

Other children are also doing fine with Welsh.

Dulingo is free and has welsh and there is bbc Welsh challenge

I was worried about it but it's been much less of an issue than I expected.

CheerfullyIndifferent Mon 03-Oct-16 13:39:13

Thanks everyone - that makes me less anxious! flowers
I will try duolingo with her, we can learn together! Many, many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now