Talk

Advanced search

Guided reading

(29 Posts)
DizzyDalek Fri 30-Sep-16 22:15:55

My ds is in year 1 and has had guided reading twice since the beginning of term. It doesn't seem a lot to me,just wondering how often other schools do it?

Enidblyton1 Fri 30-Sep-16 22:25:39

My year 1 DC does it every day except Wednesday (but this is a private school)
Twice in 4 weeks sounds too little to me, but will be interesting to see what others say. I thought it was supposed to be at least once a week?

bastedyoungturkey Fri 30-Sep-16 22:29:58

Year 3 teacher here. I do a GR session once a week. Every child reads with me on alternate weeks, but reads with my (fantastically competent) TA if they don't read with me. At 20 mins per group I couldn't do every group every day.

mrz Sat 01-Oct-16 05:40:50

We don't (and never have) used guided reading but once a week is the normal

louisejxxx Sat 01-Oct-16 08:19:49

Ds has just started yr2 and has done guided reading 3 times in 4 weeks and has read to a someone individually about 4/5 times.

ROSY2016 Sat 01-Oct-16 08:26:35

My daughter didn't read individual reading at all. Only so far she did guided reading with Ta once.she is in year one.

OSETmum Sat 01-Oct-16 08:28:34

DS is in year 3 and has done guided reading precisely 0 times since year 3 started 😡. He has also read individually to a teacher or TA 0 times 😡. This is not a year 3 thing, they've been just as shit since reception. He's a good reader but surely he deserves just a little bit of attention?

I'm a TA in year 2 and I do all our guided reading and have done it 3 times ( once a week except the first week when we were out of school all morning on guided reading day).

Twice sounds ok as guided reading is usually once a week and some school's don't get going straight away.

MrsKCastle Sat 01-Oct-16 10:23:19

Is your DS reading to a teacher or TA outside the guided reading sessions? If it's the only reading he's doing, it doesn't sound like much, but you may well find that there's a lot more going on.

In my Y2 class, each child does guided reading once a week, but they also frequently read on a 1:1 basis, even if it's just for a couple of minutes. It won't all be recorded in their reading record (especially if it's left at home!) But I keep my own record of who has read and when. If you're concerned, just ask the teacher.

AllTheShoes Sat 01-Oct-16 11:24:05

My Y1 child has done guided reading three times since the start of term. I think they spent the first week assessing their reading levels, and after that each group reads once a week (seems to be with the TA rather than the teacher).

I'm not convinced it's a very effective way of teaching for all children - certainly both my kids seem to find it frustrating rather than fun - so I wouldn't worry if it didn't happen every week.

jamdonut Sat 01-Oct-16 14:30:58

We do a guided reading session every day, but in rotational groups so that each group reads with the teacher once a week, doing follow- ups or pre-reads on the other days. I have an intervention guided reading group that reads and does follow-ups with me every day, for 20 minutes.

CocktailQueen Sat 01-Oct-16 14:37:22

In year 1, guided reading every week, but read to teacher or TA or parent volunteer more often than that.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sat 01-Oct-16 22:21:50

I'm not convinced it's a very effective way of teaching for all children - certainly both my kids seem to find it frustrating rather than fun - so I wouldn't worry if it didn't happen every week.

It's not necessarily meant to be fun. Some children don't like it because they just want to read, i.e. decode, without stopping to discuss the meaning of what they are reading, but Guided Reading is meant to help them learn to read between the lines (figuratively).

mrz Sun 02-Oct-16 07:35:49

As I said earlier AllTheShoes, we don't use guided reading (because we agree with you wink) You might be interested in http://www.mrspteach.com/2014/03/the-problems-with-guided-reading.html

AnyTheWiser Sun 02-Oct-16 08:01:11

My children (KS2 age) do guided reading once a week. I think it's rubbish, sorry. Fine for those that need more reading support (so I didn't mind when they were younger) but ridiculous for strong readers (who have absolutely no difficulty with comprehension).

AnyTheWiser Sun 02-Oct-16 08:02:40

We did it when I was in school, btw. Class reading "the twits" at a snail's pace, whilst I was reading Treasure island, Swallows and Amazons, or Jules Verne out of class.

mrz Sun 02-Oct-16 08:11:57

AnyTheWiser I disagree the strong readers get more out of guided reading than poor readers who are left reading low level texts creating a false gap across the class

irvineoneohone Sun 02-Oct-16 08:12:37

Agree with Any. I know my ds's reading ability, and I never bothered about how many times he reads to teacher/ta, or did guided reading at school.

AnyTheWiser Sun 02-Oct-16 08:43:28

Sorry Mrs, don't think I get your point. I'm saying strong readers get nothing from it. But that's when I did it, you have far more classroom experience than I do!
How is it a false gap? You mean by schools pretending the strong readers are not as strong as they are, deliberately keeping them on low level texts? Because that was my point, schools do.

AnyTheWiser Sun 02-Oct-16 08:44:12

Mrz not mrs!

mrz Sun 02-Oct-16 08:46:50

No I'm saying the gap is created by the teaching method rather than by ability.

AnyTheWiser Sun 02-Oct-16 09:01:58

Si guided reading increases the gap? Whyever do schools do it then?confused

At my children's school, they do it in groups of 4-6, so there are different levels of book. My DC still don't enjoy it.

AllTheShoes Sun 02-Oct-16 09:34:12

mrz Thanks! Though my kids are good readers and the reason I think they don't get much out of guided reading is that it's focused on the needs of the majority in the group, which don't happen to match theirs (eg my Y1 says her guided reading time is mostly focused on decoding accurately, when she actually can do all the words in the book easily and needs to be working on the inference, what happens next stuff).

Any You've reminded me of a whole term slowly reading Tom's Midnight Garden around the class. I'd read (and enjoyed) it the first night we were given it, and the whole thing was like nails on a blackboard to me and made me really dislike the book by the end.

Ditsy4 Sun 02-Oct-16 09:50:32

Can you explain that in more detail Mrz?

I have a guided reading class from each class once a week. We rotate the groups and I have never considered that the children don't like it as that has never appeared to be the case but I will ask them and note it.
I find it helps to explain punctuation, increases expressive reading, learn new vocabulary and I ask questions for inference.
Last year I took three classes and my Yr5 used to ask me on the playground if it was their turn that week.

OP I think that would be ok but I don't go down the KS1 end unless I go to cover. They will be having lots of other opportunities to read. Whole class reading, individual reading and reading for other subjects. Phonic support should still be going on. Are you concerned about your child's progress?

Coconut0il Sun 02-Oct-16 10:23:45

I love doing guided reading with children who are still learning to decode. We pick a text together from a selection and the children always seem to enjoy working in the smaller group. I can listen to 6 children and note any difficulties to work on. As a pp said the children often ask when they can do it again.
I do find the stronger readers don't enjoy it so much and they definitely don't enjoy answering the comprehension questions. When I have this group I normally let them all read independently to a given point so they can go at their own pace.
I've read the article above before and if I was in charge I'd scrap guidied reading but currently we have 4 groups in year 3 and I rotate with the teacher so each group is heard twice a week.

mrz Sun 02-Oct-16 13:02:57

Why do schools fo guided reading? Good question! Guided reading was part of the old defunct national literacy strategy supposedly more efficient in terms of time to hear groups of similar ability readers (do they exist?) than to hear individual readers. The book banding system is actually "book banding for guided reading" and the idea of levelled books in part comes from guided groups.

Many sessions seem to focus on the old assessment focuses (especially AF1 ) rather than teaching and don't actually match the newish national curriculum. So lots of decoding the text and some higher level skills (maybe).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now