DS (yr2) can't read

(22 Posts)
FedUpBird Tue 27-Sep-16 21:10:57

DS is in yr 2 and I flagged it up last year that his reading wasn't very good and his teacher just told me he was doing fine.

Anyway, I was reading with him him last week and noticed he's not blending after sounding...he only says the last bit of the word IYSWIM.

I've bought him flash cards and read with him every day.

Will he ever start reading? He's still on pink books

Msqueen33 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:17:10

I think different schools will have different systems. We're on set 90. So no colour band. Ours changes frequently it seems. I don't have a phonics reader. She's also in year two and has autism and will only read through recognition no matter how hard I push phonics. We get reports every year about whether they're hitting expected levels. Maybe a meeting with the teacher to flag up your concerns. I've also found my dd is tired when she gets in and her reading isn't always the greatest as she's worn out. Same with my seven year old.

reallyanotherone Tue 27-Sep-16 21:19:35

Chill. Some of them just get it later.

Mine just wasn't interested in the early readers. Tbh, neither was I. Biff and kipper, who cares. It was just too much work for too little reward in DD's opinion.

I didn't read with mine unless they wanted to. My mum did it with my sister, and all that happened was she ended up seeing reading as a chore, and she never read for pleasure. I don't think she's ever read a novel. I let them use the computer for games and learning websites- moshi monsters etc helped. Also stuff like the Argos catalogue smile

Eldest didn't pick up reading until the end of year 3, when her ability picked up enough to read david walliams. Then she just flew academically and left primary with level 5's and 6's.

It will come.

TeenAndTween Tue 27-Sep-16 21:43:51

It may come, it may not.
I would be (very) concerned at y2 too, and don't think you should just hope for the best.

Are you saying he knows all his phonics but can't blend at all?
Or can he actually read (and comprehend) but just doesn't read out loud clearly?
How much reading have you been doing with him during year R and Y1? (ie have you been putting in the practice or has life got in the way).

Hopefully Mrz will be along in a little while.

Bluepowder Tue 27-Sep-16 21:47:49

Can he blend if you sound? If you say d-o-g would he say dog?

user1473454752 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:49:09

If he cant blend in year two, then you have to have a chat with the teacher, some do get it later, others dont, there maybe another reason xxx

Msqueen33 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:57:33

Have you got a page from the book? I google pink level as I was curious and seems more early years/year 1. How is he with phonics in general?

FedUpBird Tue 27-Sep-16 22:15:19

He can blend CVC words fine but if you were to put an 's' on the end of sit for example he will say 'ts'.

I've been reading with him but didn't really know how behind he is as his teacher said he was doing fine.

Also he will sound out and blend the words but can't actually repeat what he's just blended so can't actually read the words

Msqueen33 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:25:06

I would speak to the teacher as I'm sure we read that in early years.

My dd is in year two and is reading this type of book. She's below expected levels in all her subjects. Could you ask any of the other parents what band their child are on?

FoxesOnSocks Tue 27-Sep-16 22:27:16

What age is he? ( Sorry I've just no clue what age year 2 is)

Msqueen33 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:28:40

www.readingchest.co.uk/book-bands

I haven't a clue on levels but found this. How's he doing across the board? Writing? Comprehension etc

FedUpBird Tue 27-Sep-16 22:45:06

He's 6 and a half, I think he might be getting tested for dyslexia. We are extremely lucky to have very small class sizes here so he's getting one to one help too.

Msqueen33 Tue 27-Sep-16 23:02:34

Oh bless him. That's really good he's getting tested.

QuackDuckQuack Tue 27-Sep-16 23:34:10

I'd be concerned that the school didn't flag this to you earlier (assuming your book bands work like ours).

Believeitornot Wed 28-Sep-16 06:40:15

Yes I'd be cross with the school. Maybe another method will help. While phonics works for most it doesn't for all.
Hopefully the test will help too!

mishmash1979 Wed 28-Sep-16 06:44:02

Quackduck; yr 2 is very early to be testing for dyslexia so that's great if they r. In our school unless the dyslexia is severe and obvious it can take till yr 4-5 till they will even suggest a referral

ineedaholidaynow Wed 28-Sep-16 07:17:19

How did he do in the phonics reading test in Y1?

MrsKCastle Wed 28-Sep-16 07:35:41

I would arrange a meeting with the teacher asap to discuss what they're doing to support him and what you can do. I'm shocked that they told you last year he was doing fine. While it does come later for some children, I would be concerned by those difficulties in Y2. I'd expect the school to be reading with him on a 1:1 basis daily and giving him extra phonics support.

At home, you can practise blending orally by sometimes giving him instructions in 'sounds' and get him to blend e.g. 'get your b-oo-k' . Or look at a picture in the book and say 'where's the d-u-ck?' Etc. Try writing simple cvc words on cards and scattering them across the floor and ask him to find /stand on/bring you a specific word. Get a small whiteboard (a laminated piece of paper works fine!) And write messages 'We will get a choc at the shop'. Or 'Is it a green dog?' With a picture of a pink cat. Only use words and sounds he knows, so he has to blend, not guess. When you share a bedtime story, pick out one word per page that is his word to read- start with ones that are easy for him, the, I or cat so he can be successful and move on to ones he has to blend.

QuackDuckQuack Wed 28-Sep-16 07:44:17

I meant its late to be flagging that his reading is behind age related expectations. Saying that he was doing fine in year 1 whilst he was still on pink books doesn't seem right. I wouldn't expect a diagnosis or referral earlier, but would expect in school interventions and the parents to be made aware of the issue and interventions.

mouldycheesefan Wed 28-Sep-16 13:46:03

Pink books are the first ones they start in in reception, the lowest level. Many children are free reading by year 2 and have finished the book levels or are on high ones. Your son needs a dyslexia assessment 💐 there is a boy with Sen in my dds class and he was on level 5 in year 2 and had lots of 1-1. 💐💐

Spiderpigspiderpig Wed 28-Sep-16 16:20:09

Hi op. My ds is 7, in yr 2 and on the red band books. One up from the pink.
He's slow but he's getting there. I know what you mean by sounding it out but not actually knowing what he's read. I get my ds to re read everything so he's actually registering it too, not just sounding out.
He also finds the reading books a bit dull, which doesn't help!
He enjoys maths and is better at reading his maths questions than his reading book confused

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 28-Sep-16 19:50:09

I'd be a bit concerned that they hadn't flagged it up before. That book is very low for a child in year 2. Having said that, if he can blend CVC words without problems then that's easier to build on than if he's having problems blending anything at all.

Have they suggested what they are going to do to help catch him up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now