Talk

Advanced search

Dd has started school and I have some cash at last!

(14 Posts)
orangjuicyfruit Mon 26-Sep-16 23:24:49

I'm so excited to not have to spend all my wages on nursery!

I'm going to get my bins cleaned, my carpets cleaned, my oven cleaned and maybe even get a cleaner! although that is a debate of whether I believe that I am really that lazy (Can you see a theme here!)

What are you doing with your extra cash?

MidniteScribbler Tue 27-Sep-16 02:16:22

Haha that will be me in a couple of months (I'm in Australia, so he will finish Kinder/Daycare in December). I can't wait!

orangjuicyfruit Tue 27-Sep-16 07:59:31

Honestly it makes SUCH a difference!

pinkpixie83 Tue 27-Sep-16 08:03:47

What extra cash, it's cost me £60 this month for all the extras the schools want, I'm worse off than I was paying childcare!

orangjuicyfruit Tue 27-Sep-16 08:12:58

Our primary only wants 50p a week... And childcare was coming up at £800 per month - you can see why I'm happy!

BrieAndChilli Tue 27-Sep-16 08:20:42

That £800 will soon be swillowed up in replacement school uniform, outgrown school shoes, school trips, lunches, music lessons, brownies/cubs, gymnastics, football and what ever clubs they want to do, party presents for the many parties you will be invited to, costumes every other week for the latest fancy dress day, spending on tat for the Christmas and summer fetes, 'making/buying cakes for said fetes, teachers presents, swimming lessons, etc etc!!!!
Kids just get more and more expensive as they get older!

Carrieswar Tue 27-Sep-16 09:18:37

Yes get your spending in quick before it gets swallowed up - your oven clean, carpet clean priorities are the same as mine grin

slightlyglitterbrained Tue 27-Sep-16 14:28:27

We're only in the first month, but so far it's been less than 40 quid on uniform and that's it. Oh wait - 50 pence on a cake from the fete.

BrieAndChilli Tue 27-Sep-16 14:43:54

Only £40 on uniform?
Each of mine has had new school shoes, jumpers/cardis, trousers/skirts, socks, PE kit, white polo shirts, water bottle, lunch box, and even with stuff passed down from DS1 to DS2 it has cost more like £400!!! (Combined not each!)

slightlyglitterbrained Tue 27-Sep-16 17:03:24

I'm guessing, but £5 for a pair of polo shirts x 3 = £15, £13 for logoed jumper & fleece, plus about a tenner for 4 pairs trousers? Might have been a bit more for trousers, but not much more.

No new socks. Still wearing old shoes and wellies. Still using same bag as nursery. School provided book bag.

School doesn't seem overly strict on the little ones for uniform, they mainly want kids to come in with waterproof coat. Bought jumper at school fair along with cake. I think the strictness of school/what they choose for uniform can make a massive difference to costs - inner city school so think they're aware some parents will struggle if they take the piss.

WigelsPigels Tue 27-Sep-16 17:12:14

We enjoyed 2 years of no nursery fees. Spends lots of money on ourselves, still paid for breakfast after school club. Still had lots of extra money after.

No we are going to do it again, have a 4 month old. But no more after this one

orangjuicyfruit Tue 27-Sep-16 23:09:21

I can absolutely see where the money goes, we had four parties in two weekends last month, it's not cheap! Plus full set of uniform, am hoping she doesn't manage to lose too much of it!
and I know, I'm very boring with my clean list!

Passthecake30 Tue 27-Sep-16 23:15:24

We used to pay £1.5k in nursery fees and now £700 in wraparound (for 2). Clothes and gifts do not total £800 per month.... You enjoy the money but personally I'd go on a spa day/shopping day and leave the oven dirty grin
I'm sure they get expensive in secondary so enjoy these primary years...

Rattusn Wed 28-Sep-16 13:12:16

Gifts can be bought while on sale, and stashed away for birthdays. Uniform is a one off expense (plus a small top up each year). It can be bought second hand too. Lots of money saved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now