Teachers removing make up

(96 Posts)
ljn133 Mon 26-Sep-16 21:10:47

Does anyone know whether a teacher in a primary school is legally allowed to remove a childs nail polish?

1potato2potato3potato4 Mon 26-Sep-16 21:13:28

They had nail varnish remover on them? That's prepared!
I can't think what law they'd be breaking, unless they assaulted them in the process?

5OBalesofHay Mon 26-Sep-16 21:17:14

They should not go to school with nail polish. I'd expect it to be removed

Peanut14 Mon 26-Sep-16 21:18:29

Sorry but the child really shouldn't be wearing nail polish.

Acopyofacopy Mon 26-Sep-16 21:19:09

What do the school rules say?
My secondary provided nail varnish and make up remover, but the students remove it themselves.

MissClarke86 Mon 26-Sep-16 21:19:36

I suspect they can tell the child to remove the nail varnish.
I don't know about removing it personally.

noblegiraffe Mon 26-Sep-16 21:19:57

Ideally the child would remove it themselves (or not be wearing it in the first place). What's the problem?

ljn133 Mon 26-Sep-16 21:20:13

I agree that they shouldn't be wearing it I just wondered whether a teacher could into trouble for removing it. I am asking on behalf of a concerned teacher/parent

Fluffsnuts Mon 26-Sep-16 21:20:34

Yes they can. I'd assume you'd put an acetone allergy on the allergy info for your child. They really shouldn't have nail polish on in school.

Andcake Mon 26-Sep-16 21:20:39

i can't see any legal issue but also can't see why a parent would mind primary school kids (and secondary) shouldn't wear nail vanish too school.

MissMillament Mon 26-Sep-16 21:21:01

In secondary school we give them the nail polish remover and they do it themselves. How old is your daughter?

MigGril Mon 26-Sep-16 21:21:14

Well as long as the child didn't object I can't see the problem. Really shouldn't be wearing nail Polish at school. Keep it for the holidays.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 26-Sep-16 21:21:47

I'd wonder how crap the lesson was, that the only thing the teacher could think of to pass the time was removing nail Polish.

Crocodillian Mon 26-Sep-16 21:22:12

Possibly more of a policy issue in terms of health and safety and risk assessment, ie Is the child allergic to the nail polish remover that the teacher used? Could there be a skin reaction to it? (Unlikely as the child probably wouldnt be wearing nail polish if they were allergic to the remover but different brands use different formulas so it's not absolutely impossible that the teacher could use something that causes a reaction, so if I were the teacher I would have sent a note home but realistically speaking what harm's been done?)
I don't know which law would have been broken to make it illegal for a teacher to use nail polish remover on a child's nail varnish.

TheTroubleWithAngels Mon 26-Sep-16 21:37:53

I'd really not give a crap if a child was wearing nail varnish in class confused

I would never take it off myself though.

Spiderpigspiderpig Tue 27-Sep-16 13:39:00

What's the issue with wearing nail polish?

hazeyjane Tue 27-Sep-16 13:43:33

Lots of children at dds school wear nailpolish - I had never thought it was a problem!

Eolian Tue 27-Sep-16 13:52:57

If the school rules say no nail polish, then the child shouldn't be wearing it. If I were the teacher I'd ask the child to remove it by next day. If they didn't do so I'd talk to the parent or get the child to remove it in school. I doubt I'd remove it myself, but I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be allowed to legally.

StillRabbit Tue 27-Sep-16 18:02:42

Our school rules state no nail polish. If a child is spotted with nail polish they are sent to the office where we have remover and cotton pads and the children are supervised while they remove it themselves.

Zippidydoodah Tue 27-Sep-16 18:04:18

Ok, so I know kids aren't allowed to wear nail varnish to school.

Why, though? What harm does it actually do?

That1950sMum Tue 27-Sep-16 18:05:41

Children in my school are sent to the office where they are given the nail polish remover and asked to do it themselves. I wouldn't imagine a teacher would have time.

SenecaFalls Tue 27-Sep-16 18:07:39

Why is it against the rules? Makes no sense to me. Children of all ages are allowed to wear it to school where I live.

QuiltedAloeVera Tue 27-Sep-16 18:08:25

Many schools have a no-nail polish rule. I would expect a Head to back up their staff in enforcing the school rules, so unless the teacher did something else, e.g. unreasonably restrained the child, I don't think the teacher would get into trouble.

clam Tue 27-Sep-16 18:37:16

Any parent who had a problem with this should make jolly sure their child follows the school rules (for which there must be one regarding nail varnish, otherwise the child would not be expected to have it removed) and not send them in wearing it in the first place.

Jeez!!!

StillRabbit Tue 27-Sep-16 19:07:51

All schools my children have attended, all schools I have attended, and all schools I have volunteered or worked in have specified no nail varnish. My daughter was allowed nail varnish once she was in sixth form but it had to be "in keeping with the uniform code of business attire" which we took to mean subtle and no outlandish patterns or embellishments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now