Talk

Advanced search

Anger and misbehaviour at home

(12 Posts)
TinyTear Tue 13-Sep-16 11:02:49

4.5 yo started Reception last week. Since then she has been very angry and misbehaving at home. Overreacting for small things. Saying I have hurt her feelings when I didn't reply directly to a question.
Anything I can do?
MIL visited this weekend which was VERY bad timing as it meant we didn't get to talk to daughter about school and how she was liking it and so on properly...
I just want my normally behaved child back - not saying she was an angel, but not this shouting ball of anger and defiance...
Thanks

irvineoneohone Tue 13-Sep-16 13:21:19

I think she is trying really hard at school, get used to everything new.
Also she must be very tired after school. It's really hard for young child to learn to listen, sit nicely, etc., etc..
I'm sure you get your normal child back once she settles in nicely.

TinyTear Tue 13-Sep-16 13:24:11

Thanks! I need to hear this!

She is in afterschool club and must be doing something right as one of the girls when i collected wanted to sort out a playdate (unfortunately she is in the other reception class - there are two) so she is still being lovely there...

idontlikealdi Tue 13-Sep-16 13:27:47

I agree, my two were a bit of a nightmare when they started last year - they were just shattered. The bad behaviour ramped up towards christmas when they were event more shattered...

TwentyTinyToes Tue 13-Sep-16 13:27:58

She is being really good at school, concentrating, listening and generally finding her way. She has nothing left when she is home and you get the brunt of it. Take it as a compliment, she will settle down, it's just a period of adjustment.

TwentyTinyToes Tue 13-Sep-16 13:28:57

But yes I agree about the Christmas excitement/exhaustion!

TinyTear Tue 13-Sep-16 13:37:01

Thanks all... Shall try some love bombing

Ahrgh don't tell me about Christmas as we won't even have a proper half term to rest... (family holiday in a cottage for the week - my idea of hell but it's MIL's significant birthday)

TinyTear Wed 14-Sep-16 10:13:59

Sigh. today working from home to took her to breakfast club myself (usually daddy does it) and she starts crying that she didn't want me to go and wanted to be with me...

after being better last evening...

i think it was the fact she knew i was home... but it means i can pick her up at 4h30ish rather than closer to 6...

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:16:12

Can you leave something of yours (scarf maybe?) on her peg to remind her you will be picking her up at the end of the day? Never tried it but read about it some years ago.

TinyTear Wed 14-Sep-16 10:22:17

Thing is she KNOWS, she has been going to full time nursery since she was 8 months old... I always pick her up and tell her well in advance if it's daddy doing it because i need to work late or go out

Stillunexpected Wed 14-Sep-16 10:28:01

I think nursery and school are very different. Even children used to long hours at nursery find school and its different expectations very tiring. Agree with anyone who says that the tiredness and attitude often lasts until Christmas. She is not only getting used to school but also breakfast club and after-school club with its set of dos and don'ts. I hate to say it but by half-term she is just going to need flop in front of the TV, the holiday sounds like bad timing with yet more upheaval, sleeping in a strange bed, outings, behaving in front of family etc. Is there any way of just going for part of the week?

TinyTear Wed 14-Sep-16 10:32:41

I'm afraid not... it's up North and we are in London... and we have no car, so not easy to just nip in and out...

I really don't want to go, but can't show it as it might pass on to the girls...

i guess she can flop in front of the TV in the cottage and if the MIL says something I will tell her to shut up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now