Talk

Advanced search

7+ English help!!!

(7 Posts)
friendofafriend Sun 11-Sep-16 14:14:34

I am embarking for the first time on the 7+ for NW schools.
My son is good at maths so I am not worried on that side.
However he has never written really a story in school which when I tried with him it was quite a painful process.
I was wondering how detailed the stories needed to be , length, sophistication etc
Any tips to help boys and essays at such a young age?
Also on the comprehensions do they tend to be more 1 and 2 point questions all found in the text or are there inference questions as well?
So sorry for the questions but its my first time on this stressful journey!
kind regards

CB2009 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:18:48

Similar situation here. Strong on maths, weaker on English. A page but wide lined. Start. Middle. End. Full stops, capital letters. Wow words. Speech marks. Exclamation marks. Logical flow. We wrote 1 story per week for six months or more. Read widely. Comprehension will have some straight forward, lift from text. Later questions will use inference., Depending how much help from current school then tutor should be considered with knowledge of your target schools. Getting a story down in the time is critical. We endured it last year. Son started new school Monday. It was worth the prep. PM me if you want to know anymore

friendofafriend Mon 12-Sep-16 14:26:03

Do you think that it does not matter if the maths and VR is strong you still need to score as high in the English section?
kind regards

CB2009 Mon 12-Sep-16 20:26:28

I don't think you need to score "as high" but will look at average marks as well as marks in each subject. Good luck

princessna Tue 13-Sep-16 09:36:31

Having gone through this with DS1 and now with DS2 my general feeling is that the story writing is something that develops significantly in Year 2, so they will learn quite a lot at school between now and December to support the story writing. It is necessary to support that at home as well but not expect the standard required for test now.

friendofafriend Thu 15-Sep-16 15:15:45

Do you think it is worth getting a tutor now for the English?
If so can anyone anyone kindly suggest a good private tutor in NW London specifically for English comprehension and story writing? I can be PM'ed
thank you so so much

fittedcupboard Thu 15-Sep-16 15:21:07

PM mumteacher on here, she is a 7+ tutor. Presumably this is for next year not the exams that are starting soon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now