Talk

Advanced search

Reception phonics

(9 Posts)
soontobemrsmckeown Sat 10-Sep-16 10:23:27

Hello my daughter aged 4.8 years is in reception. What phonics should she know by now? I cannot find any guidance on the Internet. Also what age do they start bringing reading books home?

NotCitrus Sat 10-Sep-16 10:35:45

If they've been there a few days, they wouldn't be expected to know anything! Our school gives books for parents to look at/read with kids from day one, then once all the class has started will concentrate on 'satpin' and some children will know all their letter sounds and some combinations already. My dcs basically knew what was in Alphablocks.

mrz Sat 10-Sep-16 10:38:55

It really depends on the school. Many won't have started phonics yet. Some will be conducting baseline testing so no "teaching" until completed.

catkind Sat 10-Sep-16 10:40:55

They'll start from scratch in reception.
At DS' school they started sending home books without words in for him to talk about with us from about week 2, then simple decodable books once the teacher thought each child was ready. Other schools held off sending anything home till Xmas or half term so they were all well launched on phonics.
If she fancies having a go at home you could take a look at alphablocks, or teach your monster to read is fun.

SfaOkaySuperFurryAnimals Sat 10-Sep-16 10:42:56

I teach phonics in our pre-school, only the basic first line of jolly phonics, only the action songs, our children love it 😊 s,a,t,p i,n. Google it/you tube it.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Sat 10-Sep-16 10:48:04

As a Reception teacher I would say do not panic about phonics we start them all from the beginning even if they have been in our Nursery where they start learning the sounds. As for books again we wait a while, normally about half term time. I would much rather you read the books your DD enjoys with her at bedtime encouraging her to tell the story, it's just as important than start sending reading books home there is plenty of time for that as she moves through the school.

gallicgirl Sat 10-Sep-16 16:33:54

It varies from school to school but I wouldn't expect any school to expect the children to know anything.

My DD learned most of her phonic sounds before starting reception and I think it was almost half term before they appeared to do anything at school! However, she was reading by Christmas so must have rattled through the basics pretty quickly.

As above, just read lots with your child and let school do the technical stuff.
If you do want to support her more, phonics play website is good and I love Teach Your Monster to Read. I think both of these are best used alongside the teaching in school rather than as a replacement for teaching phonics.

soontobemrsmckeown Sun 11-Sep-16 20:48:06

She knows quite a lot of them but it's all on her terms she will say/
Do them. I have found that she can identify some words such as cat, mat ect. She can write her 1st name no trouble at all. Would you sat that's a good start?

catkind Sun 11-Sep-16 21:10:03

That's a great start. And don't worry, it's amazing how cooperative they become when the teacher asks them to do something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now