Talk

Advanced search

Rules on taking children out of school under the age of 5?

(5 Posts)
sianypuss1 Sat 10-Sep-16 09:04:47

Hi everyone.
My son has just started in reception. He is not 5 until June next year and i was wondering if anyone knows the law on whether we are able to take him out of school to go on holiday without being fined? It would only be for a couple of days before half term and I was under the impression we were allowed to until he is of the 'compulsory' school age of 5 but wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with this? Thank you in advance!

meditrina Sat 10-Sep-16 09:08:51

Correct, you cannot be fined when the DC is not of statutory school age.

All other attendance management measures can be activated though, because having chosen to enrol your DC at school at that age and start them off (not defer), they should attend.

slightlyglitterbrained Sat 10-Sep-16 10:29:52

So does this mean that absence will count "against" the school in terms of their attendance targets, Ofsted etc?

mrz Sat 10-Sep-16 10:41:07

It's unlikely you would be fined for a couple of days regardless of age. School may mark it as unauthorised absence.

thisagain Sat 10-Sep-16 23:39:45

My son's head (who is known to fine) told me that she couldn't fine for a child under 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now