Talk

Advanced search

Year 1 unhappy son

(7 Posts)
eddymum27 Thu 08-Sep-16 23:13:30

My son is the youngest in his year. Throughout year r we had behavioural problems lashing out and screaming, the educational physchiatrist came to see him and us and suggested Eddy had confidence issues. The year r teacher put a lot of effort into supporting Eddy and he made a lot of progress. Eddy didn't want to go into year 1 but I thought he be ok! I cried at the transition meeting because they made it very clear they were expecting great things from my child that I knew that he may struggle with although he does have creative strengths. Anyway 2nd day into year 1 the teacher doesn't show much interest in him they've spelt his name wrong hes one of only few that hasn't been given a locker and he's so withdrawn which is unusual coz he's usually very cheeky and loud! Tonight he breaks down and says some other children have been calling him stupid and don't play with him sad one of the boys in particular I know has shown dislike to Eddy since an unsuccessful play date where the other child didn't want to share. I'm so worried my boy is going to go back wards I have to work so don't have too much time in mornings to talk to his teacher she's always very busy and I'm an emotional wreck which is really embarrassing for me. So fed up Eddy is crying a lot again I just hope it's early days and things will improve. I'm sorry to ramble I needed to vent!

Daisydukes79 Fri 09-Sep-16 07:16:09

Can you arrange to see the teacher after school? Then you can have more time to chat to her.
Sending you huge hugs. It is still early days xx

nat73 Fri 09-Sep-16 07:25:18

Definitely arrange to see the teacher. Try to keep positive for him, easier said than done, but any anxiety you have will rub off on him. Does he have any chums? Anyone you can invite for a playdate?

Ditsy4 Fri 09-Sep-16 07:30:39

You could send a note in.
We have lots of busy parents and some send a note in which is useful. You can put the information in without showing you are an emotional wreck( don't put that or they will think you are part of the problem) and ask if they can please correct his name. After the long holiday it takes some children a while to settle back in. Be positive with him and try and have a calm, relaxing evening and earlier bed time as he will be tired. If you don't already spead 5-10 minutes reading time as this will help his confidence and make lesson easier.

t4nut Fri 09-Sep-16 08:47:05

Its the 2nd day. How much 'interest' are you expecting him to be shown in a class of 30 kids all demanding 100% interest?

Yes they should have got his name right and all should have the same starting materials/facilities.

Its worth a conversation to assure yourself the teacher is aware and there is something documented regarding support/strategies.

eddymum27 Fri 09-Sep-16 09:26:00

Thank you I had a brief chat this morning and see how he dies this week, I've also invited one of his friends from his year r class over next week she has been put in a different class this year so I expect he's feeling a bit lost and probably tired too. The teacher said she would ask the staff to monitor him in the playground too. smilefingers crossed today gets better

BertPuttocks Fri 09-Sep-16 10:35:14

My DD has just started in Yr1. I think it takes a while to adjust to all the new changes. It often means a new teacher, new classroom, and new children and it can take a while to get used to it all. For the first couple of weeks they also seem to get as tired as they did when they first started Reception.

It's good that the staff now know what's been happening and will be able to keep an eye on things. I hope he has a much better day today. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now