Talk

Advanced search

Residential trips and food allergy

(12 Posts)
irvineoneohone Wed 07-Sep-16 16:30:27

My ds is starting yr4 this year, and he will have 5 days/4 nights residential trip this year.
I am wondering how parents with children with multiple food allergies manage this.
My ds has some fatal foods, but luckily, it is easy to avoid. He has numeral not so fatal food, but all though it won't kill him, he can be having massive diarrhea and full blown rash with food like milk/egg/wheat.

He is reluctant to go. I want him to go, but worried too.
It will be a quite hard work for teachers to watch out for him.
Is it ok to opt out?
If you sent your dc, did it work out ok?
They haven't even announced about trip yet(but I know will happen), but I am so worried.
Please help, give me some advice?
Thanks!

TeaBelle Wed 07-Sep-16 16:32:09

Could he go for some days and then stay over the last night or 2 if he feels happy that his allergies can be managed?

irvineoneohone Wed 07-Sep-16 16:39:07

Thanks, TeaBelle. That actually gave me some ideas and hope. I don't know if the place is close enough or not, but if it is, it could be a option for me/dh to bring some food in, etc.

MerylPeril Wed 07-Sep-16 16:41:39

I think some residential places are quite clued up - I hear Robinwood is good. Can you get contact details for the place and ask them, it's not uncommon to have allergies I'm sure you aren't the first to ask.

bombayflambe Wed 07-Sep-16 16:41:53

If it's PGL they are great at coping with allergies/special dietary requirements.
If he really doesn't want to go it is OK to opt out.
Perhaps talk to the organiser of the trip before you commit?

ErnesttheBavarian Wed 07-Sep-16 16:52:53

Tbh it depends on how clued up the teachers are and how good he is at managing it. I have many food problems and allergies, so I am ultra careful with any children in my care, because I am used to dealing with it and I am careful. But I have seen teachers just remove nuts off cakes and giving them to a kid with nut allergies, not understanding at all contamination and trace amounts.

Is it close by?

is there any way you could give him food?

I would meet with the staff running the trip and decide based on that. But if we're talking potentially fatal, I think I would reluctantly err on the side of not going, especially if he feels nervous about it.

spanieleyes Wed 07-Sep-16 18:17:19

I had a child with food issues ( he was autistic and had a very limited diet) He went on two residentials. In both cases the caterers were fantastic. Both asked for food he was able to eat-even down to which brand he wanted. Mum supplied some items too which they cooked for him. It was simply a case of forewarning and being prepared.

irvineoneohone Wed 07-Sep-16 22:50:52

Thank you for advice everyone!
Ds is very careful with what he eats, since he is the one that suffers.
And he brings his food everywhere normally. But away for almost a week is going to be a challenge. It will be horrible experience if he suffers from diarrhea or something while away, when everybody is having fun.
I will ask the school when time comes, and hopefully the caterers are experienced with allergies.

user1471537877 Wed 07-Sep-16 23:18:54

We've had mixed experiences, both DD and DS are coeliacs, Pgl were awful and glutened DD within hours didn't provide much help she basically ate an apple and salad for 3 days even though I sent a bag of food with her

DS went to a local outward bound place and they were fab

Talk to the teachers, talk to the venue and talk to your child

LunaLoveg00d Wed 07-Sep-16 23:19:41

Food allergies are SO common that most places schools use are very well versed in dealing with it. My daughter is just back from a 4 night residential and in her group of 60 were: 2 with a serious nut allergy, a coeliac, several vegetarians, someone who can't have egg and another allergic to dairy. This was all handled without a problem.

Every day there was a choice of main meal and at least one option catered for those with a dietary requirement. Breakfast and lunch was more buffet style, but my daughter said that the boy who was coeliac got special gluten free bread, and the centre's policy was not to have things like Crunchy Nut Cornflakes or any sweets or cereal bars with nuts.

irvineoneohone Thu 08-Sep-16 06:45:42

Thank you!

Glastonbury Thu 08-Sep-16 07:02:52

A boy in my Dd's class had multiple allergies. His mum contacted the cook at the residential and they agreed a menu plan for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now