Talk

Advanced search

Just moved no school place

(12 Posts)
Yumpopbythesea Wed 07-Sep-16 09:23:19

Anyone know about school places if you move from out of area?
Hopefully I'm going to be childminding a little one soon the older sibling is going into year 1.
They have just this week moved here from miles away. The local schools have no places she is on the waiting list.
I've said I will look after the older one while mum goes to work until she has a school space. I will charge obviously.
What do you think will happen?
Will she get squeezed in locally/ get a place at a school far away/ get any help paying for child care in the meantime? Could I as childminder offer to home school her until a place becomes available? Do I have to apply to do that?
Thank you for advice xx

nat73 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:00:17

Depends where you are in. In high density population areas could take a while to sort out depending on how picky the parents are. In the sticks you may be able to walk straight in...

tiggytape Wed 07-Sep-16 11:29:58

She needs to contact the council as well as individual schools.
The waiting list might move next week or not for 3 years. She cannot rely on that alone.
If she contacts the council, they will be obliged to find her child a school place somewhere.

If the child is younger than Year 3, and if local schools have 30 per class, then it is highly unlikely any school will squeeze her in (only if no school within several miles has a place would that happen and even then she wouldn't get to choose which school).

It is more likely a less local school has a space and she will be offered that. It may not be a school she ideally wants but at least it will be a school place that's available until maybe something better comes up from waiting lists.

Idliketobeabutterfly Wed 07-Sep-16 12:24:57

TBh if she contacts the council she'll be offered something further away.

tiggytape Wed 07-Sep-16 12:28:43

Yes quite possibly - but if that's the only school with a space then that's the only school that can be offered. Simply waiting and waiting for a local school won't result in an offer if they are full.

Being offered a school far away does not harm her chances of a waiting list place.
Waiting lists are ordered by how well each child meets the admissions criteria not by how much each child needs a place.
Unless she is happy to Home Ed once her child is of compulsory school age, she would need to accept whichever school has a place and then join lots of local lists and hope something comes from one of those.

Ditsy4 Wed 07-Sep-16 14:54:54

She needs to get in touch with the Local Authority for Education as they will know which schools have places. People often move in the hols and don't tell the school. So in a week or so they should know because even if the parents haven't had the curtesy to tell the school the new school will notify them.
I'm not sure about the home schooling and you will need to check your insurance but nothing wrong with taking them to the museum or looking at local history and the library. Covers some aspectswink

Ditsy4 Wed 07-Sep-16 15:02:15

She has a child going into Year 1 tiffy that's why OP is asking. Op is minding the younger one.
OP it might not be the furthest away as I said children are transient at this time of year. If she rings the LA she will be able to find out and if they are all full someone will be made to squeeze another chair in. Twiggy tape is right on the fact that it won't affect the chances as we have had it happen where a child has been with us for two years then a place comes up at preferred school and off they go!
Tell to list all important criteria, visit the schools and cross her fingers.

Witchend Wed 07-Sep-16 16:19:16

It depends on the schools locally, where she lives in relation to them and how particular she is.

if she says "Over my dead body" to the three nearest and will only look at the need-to-live-in-a-tent-on-the-school-field to get in which are 6 miles away, she'll probably not get a place before secondary.

If she's happy to take any within reasonable distance there may well be a space coming up shortly when they've sorted out who has left and not told them over the holidays.

And then with the schools it depends on whether she is local to one where someone happens to be moving out. Unfortunately that's a piece of string exercise. If I look at my 3dc who went to the same school: 1 you could have started straight away, another you would have probably got a space over the course of year 1 assuming you weren't too far down the waiting list, the third (despite a smaller waiting list) had to wait until the spring term of year 2 before any left-and the child who got a place had only just moved into the area.

I don't think you can officially home school. I might be wrong, but I think home schooling has to officially be done by the parents. However I expect the parents would be very grateful if you unofficially did some work to keep her up to standard.

Yumpopbythesea Wed 07-Sep-16 20:08:56

Thank you. I have been chatting to friends as well today. I can't homeschool only parents can do that. Most likely will have to go to a school some distance away. There are lots of schools one must have a space I would think.

Saracen Fri 09-Sep-16 00:23:14

I can clarify the legality on home education.

If the parents have requested that the LA allocate a school place and this hasn't been done yet, there is no legal obligation for them to educate their child while waiting. Of course, they'll want to do so, although in theory the situation shouldn't drag on too long.

On the other hand, if they haven't asked for a school place, or if they've been offered one which they have turned down, then they are electively home educating and must provide their child with an education. However, the requirements are very straightforward to meet.

The education doesn't have to be formal. It can consist entirely of discussion and child-led learning through play, for example, just as you are probably used to doing with younger children. Parents are responsible for arranging the education but do not have to deliver it personally. They could use tutors or grandparents, for example. Your friends are mistaken in saying that you aren't allowed to educate a child you are minding.

At the same time, if you aren't comfortable with the idea of educating a school-aged child, you don't have to. The parents can provide the education during the hours they aren't working, and ask you to provide childcare only. Home education doesn't have to take place during the hours of 9-3, and even when it is done formally, it typically takes very little time compared with school.

Yumpopbythesea Fri 09-Sep-16 14:36:20

That's really helpful thank you Saracen x

Boiing Fri 09-Sep-16 16:16:45

Yep - what Saracen said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now