Talk

Advanced search

Observing an NQT: do you always stay for the full lesson?

(5 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 05-Sep-16 17:16:41

I'm doing my first observation of an NQT tomorrow. The focus is Differentiation.

Should I stay for the whole time? (One hour twenty minutes.) Or just until I've seen sufficient evidence?

BetweenTwoLungs Mon 05-Sep-16 17:21:48

My nqt mentor would normally stay about 30/40 mins when I was an nqt, or until the children were clearly on task/enough evidence. Also she never came until about 5 mins in which I loved her for because you can get them settled and start without feeling self conscious. She'd just slip in.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Mon 05-Sep-16 17:28:13

I usually go in about 5 mins after session starts as pp said, stay for the input and transition to tables, then go out - we always observe in pairs so we compare notes at this point - then go back at the end to have a look at the work and chat to the kids.

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 05-Sep-16 17:30:00

I have always let my NQTs know when I was arriving and how long for. Most of the time with them leading the way.

I try not to stay for the full lesson but I will have observed the start (pupils entering) all the way to leaving the classroom by the end of the year.

But it depends on the NQT, some need less observation time than others.
Given the length of the lesson, I wouldn't stay for the whole of the lesson.

Euphemia Mon 05-Sep-16 17:35:29

Thanks - that's very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now