Talk

Advanced search

Admissions advice needed

(6 Posts)
HelloDoris Mon 05-Sep-16 12:31:39

We've recently moved to a new area (under Richmond admissions), the process for admissions has been difficult. I have DD1 who is going into year 1 and DD2 who is starting reception. Each had separate forms all highly confusing. Weve been told our preferred local school currently has space for Dd1 but nothing for DD2 (she is 2 on the waiting list). Weve been offered schools ranging from 2.5 miles to 3.3miles away there are no other schools in our locality with space in reception.

Do I accept Dd1 place at local school and hope and pray DD2 gets lucky. Accept far away school for DD2 and keep Dd1 local and try figure out work. Or do I send them both to far away school? Could I put DD2 back into a preschool for now, her birthday's June so only just 4.

I'm due to start a new job soon they're aware I'm waiting on school places but I can't ask them to wait nor can I afford to wait.

Admissions today have basically said they wont know about local school places for reception till Wednesday/Thursday.

Arrgh what to do.

mouldycheesefan Mon 05-Sep-16 12:33:43

I would take the space at local school for dd1. Dd2 will then be likely to be in a higher priority category and she is number 2 anyway on list. Yes see if she csn remain at preschool till place becomes available at dd1 school.

steppemum Mon 05-Sep-16 13:00:43

Take place for dd1, and then wait for dd2.
If she is no. 2 on the list, then she may move up the list once her sibling is in the school. Once the kids have actually taken up their places today/tomorrow, there may already be a place as a chidl doesn't turn up, and when tracked down, it turns out they have moved/gone private etc.

Put her into pre-school until the place comes up.

NynaevesSister Mon 05-Sep-16 16:04:07

Put DD1 in local school. Yes you can keep DD2 at preschool. Compulsory school age is the term AFTER they turn 5 anyway. However do check with the preschool as some only take Insurance out up to 4 years old. Daft but there you go.

You could also take the place at the further away school so you know you have a school place, then defer her start till after Easter and hope a place comes up at local school before then.

It is your right as a parent to defer her start in Reception up to the Summer term and they have to hold her place. Quote school admissions code 2014, section 2, , part 16 if they try to say otherwise.

You can stay on the waiting list for the other school but make sure they have DD2 listed in the sibling category.

HelloDoris Mon 05-Sep-16 19:23:30

Thank you everyone, it's been consuming my thoughts but you've all said what my gut was telling me. Going to look at childcare options for DD2. Hoping that things have moved enough when the kids go back in that she gets a place.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Tue 06-Sep-16 16:05:24

I'd definely accept school place for DD2 but then defer til Easter. You can then recondite if there is no joy on waiting list. No brainer to accept local school for DD1 and keep DD2 on waiting list there though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now