Talk

Advanced search

Primary schools without uniform

(31 Posts)
user1472802695 Fri 02-Sep-16 09:04:20

Does anyone know of any primary schools in the UK (state or private) that don't have a school uniform? or any schools that don't have the usual black/grey trousers and actually have kids in bright trousers/shorts (not just the bright jumpers/cardie)

Are there also any schools you know of that would allow child turning 5 in July to start reception in the September?

Any schools that allow mixed part time school with home school?

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Fri 02-Sep-16 09:08:38

Dont have any answers to your first and third questions but the answer to the second is any school in Scotland. The cut off points are different.

TinyTear Fri 02-Sep-16 09:10:03

Yes, in my local North London area the two state non-religious schools have no uniform - they have polo logo tops for trips outside but not for regular days

Katz Fri 02-Sep-16 09:11:15

The school my daughters went to in South Yorkshire don't have uniform at primary or secondary

Runningbutnotscared Fri 02-Sep-16 09:11:55

Are you a student writing an essay?

Why do you want to know?

Bitzer Fri 02-Sep-16 09:12:28

My kids primary school in London doesn't have a uniform at all.

KittyandTeal Fri 02-Sep-16 09:14:28

I know there are a few schools around that don't have uniform.

On the other 2 questions it's tricky for schools to take a child in July as it means they would have to keep that space open the rest of the year. In our area that would mean potentially a child not going to their first choice school so the space could be kept but not used iyswim.

It would be the same for part time schooling and home school. You might be able to do this is your child has additional needs, we've done some part time with some of our Sen children but it's always been with a view to have them full time by the end of the year.

I would say in our area, where school places are not keeping up with birth rates, it would be a resounding no from the la. It might be possible in some areas if there is an abundance of school places but I'm not sure those places even exist tbh.

Like I say, you might have more scope of your child has additional needs.

KittyandTeal Fri 02-Sep-16 09:14:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RatherBeIndoors Fri 02-Sep-16 09:18:28

Is this for an article?! This is going to be tricky to answer helpfully if it's really your personal question, as you give no indication of the part of the UK you're interested in... There is at least one primary school (state) in my nearest city that has no uniform. That's broadly in the south-east of England.

Parents can, I believe apply for flexi-schooling (a combination of home-educating and school-educating). Schools are not obliged to agree, and I believe each case has to be considered on its individual merits, with consideratoin of any additional needs the child has that make this beneficial for them. Flexi-schooling can often be a transitional phase between one type of educating and the other, i.e. a gradual route back into school. Likewise families can apply to the school for their child to be considered as part of the intake in a different (usually younger) year group, but again this is on a case by case basis through the school's admissions authority - that might be the school itself, or might be the local authority. They are not obligated to approve the application. In my limited experience, a good school will be open to it when the child has genuinely strong reasons for the need, with supporting evidence from relevant professionals. I am aware of a small-medium sized school which has a couple of children approved to do this in most year groups. It's not clear what happens at the transition to secondary though...

riceuten Fri 02-Sep-16 09:21:12

Yes, there are state primary schools in London without a uniform policy. No state school would ever allow part time home schooling, that's kind of the point with sending your child to school, 6 hours a day isn't that mich, is it ?

I assume the OP has a child with an aversion to dark colours and a dislike of schools.

MrsMulder Fri 02-Sep-16 09:22:16

Liverpool city council allows you to defer a summer born child (April - August) to start in reception the September after they turn 5. Most schools will allow flexi schooling for a child below compulsory school age and I can't think of a single school in my area (Liverpool) that doesn't wear a uniform

happilyahousewife Fri 02-Sep-16 10:43:22

I don't know of any private without uniform, pretty much all public here want polo shirts & grey/black/blue trousers/shorts/skirts. Scotland they start P1 in August the yr they turn 5

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Fri 02-Sep-16 15:50:34

A parent I know had a Reception child whose birthday was in the summer. So compulsory schooling begins this September when he starts Y1. Due to this and the mum feeling 4 is too young to start, she simply TOLD the school that her child wouldn't be in school on a certain day (her day off) so basically was a part-timer going 4 days a week. And this mum is a teacher too!

Schools without uniforms do exist but are few and far between when compared with the masses. Same applies to deferring entry - it is talked about a lot and seems to be 'growing in trend' in terms of choices for parents but still not widely accepted. Fora child to defer entry until the term AFTER his/her 5th birthday (being summer born) would mean entry into Y1 in which case you would have to apply for a place and by that point, less likely to get a school of choice as most children take their school places in reception hence why it is notoriously difficult to go to a highly regarded school of choice into Y1 but missing Reception. Also as a teacher and knowing what is taught in Reception and the difference between foundation stage and National Curriculum, unless you are able to provide a very similar based education as foundation stage teachers, I wouldn't recommend it. I received a child with NO RECEPTION TEACHING (stayed at home) and she was massively behind her peers when she began in Y1 and needed intense 1:1 for a whole year. It took her a few years to actually catch up.

ButtonLoon Fri 02-Sep-16 17:24:04

There are a number of state primary schools in Oxford that don't have a uniform policy, at least four off the top of my head.

Vinorosso74 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:18:30

My DDs primary doesn't have a uniform. I know of at least two others in our London borough that don't. There's certainly a few around.

Natsku Fri 02-Sep-16 18:24:53

Is it actually required to wear uniform primary school when it has a uniform? Because when I went to primary school (90s) they had a uniform but my parents didn't want to buy it so we went in our own clothes and it was fine. Has that changed?

CruCru Fri 02-Sep-16 20:03:36

I know of a few primary schools that have no uniform - both state and private.

I don't know the answers to either of your second two questions though.

Gowgirl Fri 02-Sep-16 20:05:30

Why would you be worried about uniform?

Biscuitsneeded Fri 02-Sep-16 20:07:09

Cambridge has several schools with no uniform.

AnyTheWiser Fri 02-Sep-16 20:10:22

What, in the whole of the UK? Under four separate education systems?
Well, I wonder...hmm

indieblack Fri 02-Sep-16 20:18:46

I wish there was a non uniform school near me (South London) but every school in the borough insists on it. As each school becomes an academy the ridiculous list of compulsory kit only gets worse angry I went to a non uniform primary and had uniform and non uniform choices at secondary. What happened to parental/ pupil choice?

BikeRunSki Fri 02-Sep-16 20:22:33

Nethergreen school in Sheffield lets you wear any skirts/trousers with school sweatshirt and polo shirt, but it's pretty much any colour polo shirt and the school sweatshirts can be red, blue or green.

smellyboot Fri 02-Sep-16 20:50:45

A few near us have no uniform too or have one that is optional

smellyboot Fri 02-Sep-16 20:54:32

Love Nethergreens uniform policy !

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 02-Sep-16 21:06:27

I can think of individual schools that satisfy one of your criteria, but no one school that meets all your criteria.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now