Talk

Advanced search

reading book recommendations - about trains, cars & other vehicles

(11 Posts)
Kanga59 Mon 22-Aug-16 18:45:54

I'm struggling to find engaging reading material for my son who was reading purple and gold books at the end of laSt term.

Our local library has a few where the book is focused on "Double Decker Derek" and we had "the green machines" last week that was about building site transport. But these are all around the green reading level which is fine for practice but I'd like to find some material that is helping him progress too.

Have tried Project X which are hit and miss.

does anyone know of any other schemes or series that I can try please. transport related

catkind Mon 22-Aug-16 19:34:43

Would he be interested in reading Thomas the Tank engine? You didn't mention how old, but my 7 yr old has been going back and reading himself these this summer, having not visited them since we read them to him as a toddler. I can't remember how reading level colours work beyond orange, but I'd think they have reasonable vocabulary, and some interesting historic context to understand.
Or how about just let him loose on the non fiction section of your local library. Or train or car magazines? We picked up a pile of old steam train magazines once when visiting a local steam railway, for pennies - haven't been allowed to throw those away yet.

RueDeWakening Mon 22-Aug-16 20:12:14

The Usborne See Inside books have got a few options, if non-fiction would work? I know there's Trains as we've borrowed it before, I think there's one on cars too. DS has the Thomas the Tank Engine Haynes manual too, which might work?

Ferguson Sat 27-Aug-16 20:23:14

Yes - the Haynes Publishing company that has for MANY years produced manuals for car enthusiasts and car repair and restoration topics, has DIVERSIFIED into just about every topic you can think of!

Including books suitable for CHILDREN.

They also do books about computers, animals, health, Space gardening etc.

I think there is also a range of small, compact books.

This is a link to their 'General Interest' area:

haynes.co.uk/catalog/general-interest-manuals

When I was a child (over sixty years ago!) The Eagle was a popular boy's magazine that featured a centre-spread of cut-away drawings by Leslie Ashwell-Wood of transport, technical and scientific topics. These are now 'collectors' items' and can be hard to track down, but this link may help:

bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/2007/03/leslie-ashwell-wood.html

catkind Sun 28-Aug-16 17:37:23

Oh yes, DS had the Haynes Thomas book too. Two grandparents independently gave it to him in fact! They were right too - he loved it.

Kanga59 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:03:04

Thank you for the replies.

We have the Thomas tank full set and he often reads those after lights out (torch on!). I don't know how much of each he reads or if he just looks at the pictures but I think we will add those to our reading together.

Loving the Haynes manuals for children!! I've ordered the Thomas one but sadly there is a 1-2 month dispatch time on it.

A set of books like the Thomas Tank set, but for the different car makes would be perfect. I don't think it exists yet!

I'm going to have a further scout on your recommendations now Feeguson,cthank you.

Oh and ive ordered the Usbourne look inside trains.

MrsJoeyMaynard Sun 28-Aug-16 21:14:30

Maybe the Peter's Railway books by Chris Vine? Based around a boy called Peter and his grandfather's miniature railway. My train loving 5 yr old loves to be read those (although IME the storylines in the Thomas books are more interesting).

Or the Gumdrop books, if they're still in print? Series of books about a vintage car.

The Usbourne look inside trains book is great. We've got Usbourne look inside cars and ships too. Although the look inside ships has a lot of warships and references to naval battles, which may not be what you're after.

Kanga59 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:39:11

Thank you, I'll look those up now too.

He's intersex in war etc too, we have the Usbourne see inside world war 2 book which is a favourite, although a bit gory in places for a 5 year old!

He would love books about vintage cars, hopefully Gumdrop are still available.

catkind Sun 28-Aug-16 22:42:58

Hmm, someone did give us a car based TtTE clone once. It was not loved but fwiw: Barbara Hayes, Favourite Motor Car stories. Freddie the Ford, Maurice Minor etc.

redexpat Sun 28-Aug-16 23:00:24

I'm not familiar with the reading levels, but how about the polar express?

MrsJoeyMaynard Mon 29-Aug-16 07:11:15

The Polar Express has bits about not believing in Santa in it, which may be an issue if the child reading it still firmly believes in Santa. I was a bit disappointed about those bits when we bought the Polar Express book in the run up to DS1's 3rd Christmas.

OP, the Little Red Train books by Benedict Blathwayt may also be worth looking at. Not sure how it compares to reading levels, but the text is simpler than in the Thomas books, and the pictures are lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now