non-leather school shoes?

(9 Posts)
IamAporcupine Mon 22-Aug-16 01:09:55

DS is starting reception in a couple of weeks. I must admit I've been slightly disorganized and I am only now looking for shoes blush
DS has recently been prescribed insoles and it is very tricky (impossible) to fit them in leather shoes.
I know you cannot tell me if the school will allow it etc - but does anyone have any experience with a similar situation?
if so, where did you get the shoes from?
thanks!

LifeIsGoodish Mon 22-Aug-16 01:15:10

The school is highly unlikely to be able to enforce uniform regulations over a medical need, so don't worry on that account.

I know that many MNers slate Clarks, but I have found their fitting to be excellent. John Lewis fitting has also been very good. Why not take ds and his insoles to them and see what they can do?

LifeIsGoodish Mon 22-Aug-16 01:16:09

BTW the last week of the holidays is a total MARE in children's shoe shops - so get going ASAP!

IamAporcupine Mon 22-Aug-16 01:19:37

thanks!

we have quite a few pairs of Clarks from before and due his foot shape there is no way the insoles would fit unless he is wearing 2 sizes too big...
the only ones that work are canvas shoes with loose velcro fastening

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sneepy Thu 25-Aug-16 16:22:42

Some shoes have removable insoles to allow for orthotics. Ricosta and Geox both do and have width sizing, a good independent shoe shop will be able to help. My DD has quite thick orthotics so very difficult to find shoes but we've had good luck with those brands.

Alternatively you could speak to the school, they'd have to be pretty ridiculous to say a 4 year old with prescription insoles had to wear shoes that don't work.

microscope Thu 25-Aug-16 16:58:40

Where do you live? both my kids have odd feet and Brians (one branch in NW11 and the other in Stanmore I think) are fantastic - they always sort it out. get a move on though

rosesarered9 Thu 25-Aug-16 17:00:56

As long as the shoes are black it should be fine. What if a child's family were strict vegetarians/vegans?

IamAporcupine Thu 25-Aug-16 21:50:41

thank you all
the orthopedist suggested removing the insoles too - I will try that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now