Talk

Advanced search

Nursery class-what are your dc doing when you collect them?

(44 Posts)
SavoyCabbage Sun 21-Aug-16 18:22:44

I am starting a job share in a nursery class. At the moment, the door is opened at 11.45 and the parents can come to the door and pick up their dc between 11.45 and 12.00. When that is going on the dc watch a CBeebies programme on iplayer.

I'm trying to think of something else we could be doing in that time. Firstly because you will need a tv licence from September to watch iplayer but mostly because it makes me feel like the only time the parents are seeing their dc in school, they are glued to the tv.

I don't want to suggest they just sit there instead, which is the only other thing I have seen happen at picking up time, but I can't think of anything else either.

We will have already done singing. And if it's educational then parents will pick their dc up at the end of the fifteen minute window! AGH!

Tanito279 Sun 21-Aug-16 18:26:43

Colouring? Reading? Could each child choose 1 toy eg. A car to play with (so not too much tidying up)?

NickNacks Sun 21-Aug-16 18:28:25

Why is there a 15 minute window? That seems disruptive in itself.

TeaBelle Sun 21-Aug-16 18:29:31

Singing a couple of goodbye type songs in a circle

ACubed Sun 21-Aug-16 18:30:00

This is going back a while but when I was at nursery our teaching would sing the goodbye song with a guitar. So we'd all sit on the carpet and when she saw little Timmy's mum or dad she'd sing, "goodbye Timmy, good bye!". Maybe a bit corny, and would rely on being able to recognise all the parents! Where I work now parents come all day, but the ones who come at six usually see their kids helping tidy up, which they like.

finova Sun 21-Aug-16 18:30:44

Watching Come Outside on YouTube.
Nursery rhymes on whiteboard...not sure if You Tube too.
Singing nursery rhymes/action songs.
Listening to a story.

Poocatcherchampion Sun 21-Aug-16 18:31:08

I think it is bizarre to watch telly at that time or actually at all at a childcare setting. Also i f I was the child I would be annoyed to miss the ending of the programme.
Story?

Mine tend to be doing something from a small selection of activities - duplo, colouring etc.

Are there not enough staff?

Mov1ngOn Sun 21-Aug-16 18:32:02

Our preschool would never have had them all watching TV every day.....

They usually sang their goodbye song and sat on the floor with the staff -parents would be queuing to get in. Why a 15 min window? It sounds like a short session.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 21-Aug-16 18:32:04

I would do a circle time activity. Great idea above. No way would I have the TV on. It would give a poor impression.

Whosthemummy16 Sun 21-Aug-16 18:33:48

Quiet table top activities, colouring, jigsaw puzzles.
What about the story CDs like "and we all go travelling by" There are loads called barefoot singalongs.

Muskateersmummy Sun 21-Aug-16 18:34:11

Whenever i pick dd up from nursery or preschool she is playing. Sometimes they are all in a circle having a story read to them but mostly they are playing. I love to look in for a few minutes before she sees me to see what she gets up to when I'm not around smile

Mov1ngOn Sun 21-Aug-16 18:34:44

Poo - staff wise you can have a lot less if you have a trained teacher. One reason I preferred the local preschool, less "school" like, more staff etc!

Puppymouse Sun 21-Aug-16 18:35:50

DD is usually outside. Watching tv only if weather is awful.

finova Sun 21-Aug-16 18:37:24

I'm quite happy for them to watch a bit of TV as I know they're very busy at other times.
Pick ups at our nursery are staggered....though I'm talking about the end of the day pick up. There's prob a half hour window you can collect. In that time they'll be playing, then tidying up or in the quiet room waiting for collection, depending what time you arrive.
I think Come Outside is a good choice as its calming and educational. Good for knowledge and understanding of the world if it's still called that!

finova Sun 21-Aug-16 18:40:20

Oh and TA runs the quiet room usually, another greets at the door and the teacher and another TA are floating so available for a quick chat.

insancerre Sun 21-Aug-16 18:46:22

We just let ours play, usually outside
No way would I let them watch TV every day
Sometimes they might be having a story but you always get the parent that say " oh stay and listen to the end of the story" and send their child back to sit down once they have run to their parent

superram Sun 21-Aug-16 18:55:20

I think pick up needs to be 11.45 or 12, problem solved. Staggered finish sounds like a nightmare-I would collect at 12 and you might find all the parents do (hopefully).

trilbydoll Sun 21-Aug-16 19:00:29

On my half day, all the dc are generally out the way while the staff clear up lunch, so in the book corner, sat round a table colouring, or at the side of the room with something fairly static like building blocks.

On my full day I am that parent sprinting in at 5.57pm, so dd is usually 'helping' tidy up, so she's washing stuff up (a 3yo version grin) or putting stuff back in boxes / books back on the shelf etc. In this weather they tend to be outside so just running around because all the equipment is put away by 5.45ish.

museumum Sun 21-Aug-16 19:03:08

Ours are always outside in the garden unless it's very wet when they're doing circle games in a small room where they do gym type stuff.

Snazarooney Sun 21-Aug-16 19:03:16

Dough disco
Stories
Celebration of morning's events - showing models etc

museumum Sun 21-Aug-16 19:03:34

Garden is perfect as they already have coats on.

springwaters Sun 21-Aug-16 19:46:13

If this is a school nursery then watching a video is not acceptable. How long is the session? Is the 15 minute apart of the funded 3 hours or additional? Do they start at 8.45 or 9.00?

SavoyCabbage Sun 21-Aug-16 20:06:46

It is a school nursery yes, which is why I was surprised that they were watching tv every day. They start at 8.45.

The reason for the 15 minute pick up window is that there isn't much space at all anywhere. So parents collecting with a pushchair with another child would find it almost impossible to negotiate their way through the tiny playground to the door.

It's a great idea to have them already outside but the parents have to come through the small nursery playground so it would be too hard to manage any escapers I think. I'll take a look though.

I had never heard of dough disco but I've looked it up and it looks like a lot of fun.

mrz Sun 21-Aug-16 20:40:40

Carpet time -teacher handing out models and paintings etc

MiaowTheCat Mon 22-Aug-16 07:33:33

Lots of places I used to do supply at had carpet time with one staff member doing a story and songs plus handing out artwork/trying to work out who the hell did what painting while other staff dealt with handing kids over as parents appeared.

I've got mildly narked this year just gone with the sheer number of DVDs the kids have worked their way through over the course of the year on the bit between eating their packed lunches and the afternoon session starting at preschool - but that's because we pay for the lunchtime bit of the day and it's nowt of value really unless the kids needed to work on their Paw Patrol recognition (which believe me in this house they bloody well don't) - I'd have been happier with a bit of cbeebies than half the shite they've put on! (I know it's because of how the staffing has been worked out for this timeslot and it's only the sake of 20 minutes or so dead time during the day but it's just got me slightly ruffled at times - not that I've ever said anything to them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now