Talk

Advanced search

Worthing primary schools - aaaaarghhhh!

(5 Posts)
cleopatrasilverwing Tue 09-Aug-16 20:54:58

We are currently renting in Brighton but in the process of buying in Worthing. DD1 starts year 2 in September and DD2 starts reception. We can't apply for school places until we have exchanged, but looking at the local primary schools it appears we are only in the catchment area for two, Whytemead (oversubscribed) and Downsbrook (undersubscribed but according to ofsted requires improvement). Broadwater is the closest school but as we're not religious we can forget about that (grrrr). Is Downsbrook really as bad as the ofsted report says? We'd thought about putting them on the waiting list for Whytemead and commuting to Brighton in the meantime, but that isn't really very appealing (I also have a 17 month old). Sorry for ramble, any thoughts on Downsbrook greatly appreciated!

JacquettaWoodville Fri 12-Aug-16 11:59:26

Have you got a place for your younger dd in Brighton at her sister's school?

prh47bridge Fri 12-Aug-16 13:26:03

Broadwater is the closest school but as we're not religious we can forget about that

If Broadwater has places available in the appropriate years they must be offered to you. However, if it is full and there is a waiting list you could be some way down the list.

cleopatrasilverwing Fri 12-Aug-16 20:37:53

Yes JacquettaWoodville, DD2 has a place at her sisters school in Brighton (unfortunately our money just doesn't go very far there, hence the move to Worthing).

phr47bridge - I've spoken to Broadwater and they are full, with a waiting list for both year groups. Living close to the school is 6th or 7th on the list of criteria to get in, so I think realistically we will need to rule that out.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice on Downsbrook?

Confusedmartie100 Fri 12-Aug-16 21:57:52

I have a sister in law with a child very happy there ( year 2 now )
The ofsted wasn't very good last year as the children are below average come year 6 but this is mainly due to the amount of special needs children in the school so not really a fair judgment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now