Talk

Advanced search

Number 1 and number 2 on waiting lists

(9 Posts)
rainbowdash24 Tue 26-Jul-16 22:04:52

Hi there

I have been allocated a school that I didn't list. The school requires improvement & ex husband not impressed.

The two that I did list are ofsted good.
I've been put on waiting lists for them both.

I'm number 1 on one schools waiting list.

And I'm number 2 on the other.

What do you think my chances are of moving up on waiting lists & being offered a place at school 1 or 2 by Sept?!

do you think unlikely now?

I'm in Essex & just this week moved to area... Great time to move eh!!

Iwantawhippet Tue 26-Jul-16 22:11:44

In my DCs reception class in desirable London school, pretty settled area, one child didn't show up for reception, one left after 6 weeks and another after two terms. So three got in from the waiting list. I think you may be lucky.

Witchend Tue 26-Jul-16 22:53:50

Could be anything from next week to year 1.

My dc went through the same infants. 2 form entry
Dc1 there were spaces when she started. Three left, four joined end of year R, 2 more joined start of year 2.
Dc2 was full when started. 1 left end of first term, 2 left end of year R, 2 left end of year 1 (all filled immediately from waiting list) Someone I know who started at number 2 on the waiting list was number 8 by the end of year 2.
Dc3 it was full when started. One left (immediately filled from waiting list) at the Spring half term in year 2. And the one who took the place had only been on the waiting list since the start of year 2. he jumped to the head as his brother started in year R.

MrsJoeyMaynard Wed 27-Jul-16 03:21:14

Depends.

If the area has a mobile population, some children from a reception class may move away before the beginning of the autumn term. That's more likely if the school has a large intake.
But, other people may move closer to the school before then, and bump your child down the waiting list.

And of course it's always possible for all the children admitted to reception in September to stay at the school until secondary age.

Wilmslow11 Wed 27-Jul-16 04:10:28

You will get your child in but might have to wait past the start of term. However, have you visited all schools? When were they inspected and why is the school in RI in RI. Have headteachers changed since the schools were inspected? Ofsted reports are one snapshot of a school on one day. Make sure you are making the right decision for your child.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 27-Jul-16 04:21:28

DD2 was number one on waiting list for the school her older sister goes to (also in Essex) and she got in. As did the child at number 2.

We got the letter to tell us about a week before the end of summer term.

So, I wouldn't give up hope BUT do check the rules because I believe that the list goes out of the window at a certain point (September? End of Autumn term? Can't remember sorry) and you need to be on the ball. The LEA were really helpful and kind to me (I was very stressed) so do pick their brains.

OneEpisode Wed 27-Jul-16 04:25:36

It is possible to move down the waiting list. A new family moving into the area but higher in the criteria, for instance "cared for" or living closer to school, could be placed higher in the waiting list.

FiveFullFathoms Wed 27-Jul-16 04:27:13

It depends entirely on the school i'm afraid. Some schools have lots of movement, others very little. There is a popular school me that hasn't had an in-year Reception place in years. Once in, parents stay put for the duration. Likewise, a school that is 3 form entry is likely to have more movement than a one form.

Have you been round the requires improvement school? A school is more than it's Ofsted report.

VioletBam Wed 27-Jul-16 04:29:49

I was number 3 on my chosen school but I didn't join the list until the end of year 1 of my DDs first school....and it took till year 3 when a lot moved up to private schools instead. But in receptions it can often happen that someone will move house or decide to go somewhere else

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now