Talk

Advanced search

Question for teachers about KS2 writing assessment

(7 Posts)
kesstrel Sat 23-Jul-16 14:54:24

I know that the writing assessment is extremely burdensome, but would you say that the following statement is true?

"All pieces of set written work have to include all examples from a check-list of punctuation, verb modes and sentence constructions."

mrz Sat 23-Jul-16 14:55:31

No

DraenorQueen Sat 23-Jul-16 14:58:58

Not at all.

kesstrel Sat 23-Jul-16 15:05:48

Thanks!

CreepingDogFart Sat 23-Jul-16 20:30:34

That would be a ridiculous nonsensical piece of writing. Where has that statement come from?

kesstrel Sun 24-Jul-16 08:43:55

It was from a "discussion" on the Guardian website (unsurprisingly).

Fresta Sun 24-Jul-16 09:29:22

I think some teachers, including DD's, are teaching writing this way though in response to the new SATs. It's ridiculous. My Y6 daughter thinks her writing is only valid if it contains strings of 'high level vocab', a semi colon, inverted commas, brackets, an opening adverb etc. from her checklist. She has even banned the use of the word 'said' from their writing. The result is a class of children whose written work all sounds the same, regardless of the purpose. They recently did a speech writing event and they all read out their speeches which were full of long adjectives and convoluted sentences. I intervened in my dd's and got her to re-write it how she speaks- and she won because the others were so hard to listen to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now