Pick ups during term time, or termtime working?

(11 Posts)
ceeveebee Thu 21-Jul-16 23:38:44

Hi
I am extremely lucky to have an employer who is very flexible when it comes to my working days and hours. I currently work 3 full days most of the time, sometimes more in busy times (which I am either paid for or take in lieu)

My twins are due to start reception in September and I need to decide what is best for them - I can either

A) do 3 days spread over 4/5 - so maybe 2 full days and 2 half days, or 5 short days - all year round other than my holiday allowance, which means I would be able to do pickups at least 3 times a week, or

B) do 4 days a week during term time and then pretty much have all holidays off other than the odd exception when it is too busy to take the time off. So I would only do one pickup. I've already booked spaces at afterschool club but not yet committed, and grandparents happy to do one pickup.

What would you do given the choice? Is it better for the kids to have me around more after school or to have me around during the holidays?

Thanks!

DelphiniumBlue Thu 21-Jul-16 23:50:41

Hard choice. Possibly depends on what holiday cover is available - if you have to pay it will be expensive for twins, and after school club might be easier logistically, although it can be very tiring for little ones. Have you visited the provision to see what its like ? I ask as it can vary tremendously.
Is there a DP/h who can do some school pickups/ holiday cover?

ceeveebee Fri 22-Jul-16 00:21:50

Thanks for the reply
There are two holiday club options - at the afterschool club and also their current nursery runs a club for "alumni" up to age 6 - don't know how much it is, but wont he more than I'm currently paying to nursery! And also very willing grandparents (but I wouldn't ask them to do more than a day a week as its hard work).
DH works very full time with some travel so no pick ups except emergencies- but could also cover some holidays.

Things like play dates/after school activities and homework would be really tricky or even impossible if they are in afterschool club 3 nights a week wouldn't they...?

So difficult to get the balance right!

titchy Fri 22-Jul-16 08:04:51

Can you mix the two, so 2 full days and 3 short days in term time (grandparents do one pick up and ASC the other), that should build up your hours a bit for each holiday. Then change your holiday working pattern to three full days, but aim to work just one, or two at most, of these full days?

ParadiseCity Fri 22-Jul-16 08:10:36

3 days at after school club much better than holiday clubs. I'd go for the term time only job. Def.

(Fwiw I work full time all the time.)

Bottomchops Fri 22-Jul-16 08:10:42

4 days a week term time only definitely for me! Surely cheaper not paying for holiday clubs? You get nice chunks of time together. Also one puck up a week is enough to be able to speak to teachers and other mums etc. Hopefully the twins will look forward to mummy picking them up on that day and not be miserable and uncommunicative every day like mine is

Sirzy Fri 22-Jul-16 08:16:15

I would do term time only ultimately that will allow much more quality time together than an extra couple of hours after school

LilyBolero Fri 22-Jul-16 08:24:46

Definitely the 4 day/term time option. Definitely. No question in my mind!!!

ceeveebee Fri 22-Jul-16 08:25:47

Argh just wrote a long reply and lost it!
Looking like B is the favourite - I do think it will be nice for them to have a proper break and be able to have playsdates etc over the holidays (a lot of their friends have SAHM).
Thanks all for your input!

Jenijena Fri 22-Jul-16 08:27:13

I'd do term time too. Ds is the same age and I'm already thinking about next summer holiday!

daisydalrymple Fri 22-Jul-16 08:30:26

I'd also def do term time only. Children soon get used to after school club being an extension of the school day, and if you're able to be off holidays, I think its easier all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now