losing cardiagns

(46 Posts)
ROSY2016 Thu 21-Jul-16 09:51:29

its get frustrating losing cardigans and jumpers even if they were named. other children took home by mistake and don't returned them its so annoying to keep buying them

irvineoneohone Thu 21-Jul-16 10:14:43

It's annoying, but it happens. My ds brought home someone else's jumper once or twice, so I can't really complain.
Problem is, when you chuck it into washing machine, you don't check the name tags every time. One thing I found which helps is unmissablely bright name tags and name tags looks like buttons. You can't miss it.
(But I wondered having button like thing on your back of your neck isn't uncomfortable?)
I had to buy three extra jumper this year, and they are introducing new uniform next year.....

EarthboundMisfit Thu 21-Jul-16 10:19:51

It just happens I'm afraid. Very annoying, but part of primary school life.

ROSY2016 Thu 21-Jul-16 10:26:30

my daughter brought another child's cardigan exactly same as my daughter's. When I was hanging on the washing line I realised the name was written with black ink at the back and realised that wasn't her's. I returned to school and her cardigan was brought back from other mum . I am thinking to write with permanent ink at the back, but it won't look nice

OrangeSquashTallGlass Thu 21-Jul-16 10:26:31

Have you looked in lost property? <ducks for cover>

I know what you mean though, the number if lost clothes at school is astounding.

The thing that does annoy me though is when parents claim it was named when in fact it was not named properly! Writing on the label with a biro or felt tip is not naming it. The name gets blurred and faded in the wash and isn't clear enough for someone unfamiliar with your DC to recognise. Spoken by someone who has tried to decipher far too many smudgy labels!

DonkeyOaty Thu 21-Jul-16 10:28:42

Coloured sharpie

Write surname in block capitals on the back just below the neck on the outside or down one sleeve

DonkeyOaty Thu 21-Jul-16 10:29:29

x post

no it doesn't look nice but its effective

OrangeSquashTallGlass Thu 21-Jul-16 10:32:15

'I am thinking to write with permanent ink at the back, but it won't look nice'

On the inside collar do you mean? Big block capitals on the inside neck will work and won't show when she's wearing it.

I'm not sure about down the arm though Donkey!

ROSY2016 Thu 21-Jul-16 10:34:24

the name was stitched to label and written with permanent marker. The school put some lost property at the office ,which were all unnamed jumpers and cardigans.it wasn't there either. school said if children took by mistake then can't do anything.

NickNacks Thu 21-Jul-16 10:34:30

Our school have a great system. Not lost a cardigan all year (reception dd).

When the children take their jumper or cardigan off they have to place it in the 'jumper box' (a big flexi tub). The TA then gives them out at the end of the day at carpet time. No clothing just dropped about the classroom or falling off pegs.

ROSY2016 Thu 21-Jul-16 10:39:47

That's a great system NickNacks. children tend to take off their cardigans while playing or in the class room, so system like that should work.

ijustwannadance Thu 21-Jul-16 10:44:33

When DD started last last year she was lost 1 per week. In the end I stopped sending her in with one. I get that they can be mixed up etc, especially when all the same £4 asda cardi, but mine had huge, bright pink iron on labels on the back of the neck. Not something another parent could miss.

Lost property was useless as people would just take anything as long as correct size for their child.

irvineoneohone Thu 21-Jul-16 10:59:23

I think Iron on labels are easy to stick, but also easy to come off. So, if the parent isn't nice person, they can peel it off quite easily. Stitch ons are better IME.

uhoh1973 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:00:46

In our school by the end of term there is a basket about 1m3 full of lost clothes. 75% of it is not labelled and it includes coats and trousers!
We have had a cardigan mix up once in 2 years but I buy her jumpers from John Lewis and no one else has them so we have managed to keep all of them.

ROSY2016 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:01:28

I agree with ijustwannadanc. Anyone can take anything in lost property . while they playing in the play ground if they hang on the fence any child can take other children's cardigan because all same colour. can stop sending with cardigan but winter times is the difficult one. I bought BHS ones because asda's doesn't last with washing. they fade quickly.

EskSmith Thu 21-Jul-16 11:06:04

I stitch them into the neckband. (not on the label as it doesn't stand out there) Not lost a cardi in 5 years Dd1 and 3 years Dd2. Yes the sewing is laborious but the key is it makes it obvious to anyone picking it up. Children don't take them by mistake generally and if they do (twice only) it is returned the next day.

Ginmummy1 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:08:58

How old is your child?

I doubt other children are deliberately stealing clothing, so the problem may be the parents snipping labels out. Therefore the problem would be solved by making sure nobody else takes your child's clothing home from school.

Perhaps it's worth reinforcing with the child the importance of looking after their own belongings. The jumper is either worn, or in their bag, or tray, or with their coat. It should not be left anywhere else.

(easier said than done, I know!)

ROSY2016 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:29:36

She is 5 1/2. my child name was stitched to the label. I think marking with permanent ink at the back of the cardigan will solve all sort of problem. even if other child wearing by mistake, can easily found whom its to belong to. Esksmith that's surprise me five years haven't lost a cardigan . My dd just finished reception, long way to go.

Hockeydude Thu 21-Jul-16 11:48:22

Get bigger name tags. You can get them half an inch tall or even an inch tall. Then nobody can miss them, not an adult chucking stuff in washer and not a little Y1 kid either.

And/or sew name on outside. On cardi, do the side seam by the waist so clearly visible if another kid wearing it. On jumper can do outside on back of neck.

ROSY2016 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:56:14

yes that's what I was thinking to write on bottom back hem of cardigan. That's saves time as well. Stitching takes time and the label can easily removed and claims to belongs to another one.

LifeIsGoodish Thu 21-Jul-16 12:04:12

Those of you whose dc have never lost/are always losing things at school, it is more often down to the individual child than the school or the other children. Yes, practices like jumper box and good labelling can help, but you can guarantee that, when you find three jumpers on the classroom floor/playground fence/anywhere, 9 times out of 10 they will have the same three names on them.

LifeIsGoodish Thu 21-Jul-16 12:06:32

And the point about writing names inside sleeves is that some parents are unscrupulous and will peel off/unpick/cut out any labels. I label my dcs' gear by writing on the item itself in permanent marker. Doesn't prevent it being lost or stolen, but makes it more easily reclaimed.

irvineoneohone Thu 21-Jul-16 12:15:03

Life, that maybe true, but at my ds's school, they have jumper box in class, children put their jumper in it, and they take it out themselves. My ds is very good at keeping his own belongings, but most of the cases by the time he went to get his jumper, his was gone, and torn/horrible ones are left there.
Now he keeps his jumper in his school bag.

mrz Thu 21-Jul-16 12:19:56

Last night we took a mountain of "lost" property out into the playground. Every parent was asked if their child had lost anything would they please check ...one parent in almost a hundred bothered

ROSY2016 Thu 21-Jul-16 12:21:59

my child school has 175 children in entire school. so writing her name with initial will help to reclaim.whatever we do it depends on honesty of other parents, and have to accept it part of primary school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now