Talk

Advanced search

progress using ks2 sats data?

(7 Posts)
summerchocolate Tue 19-Jul-16 20:57:30

On one of the other SATS posts here someone had explained that "progress 8 attainment is based on KS2 SATS scores. That is why secondaries use them to predict grades- they need to get all pupils to an = or + score for progress 8".

Can anyone explain this. I can understand for maths how this might work but how would it work for English where there is a score for reading and SPAG plus a teacher assessed writing. The results for each may be very different to each other?

Even if secondary schools don't have any faith in the SATS results themselves are they being forced to use them to set their own GCSE targets and to be measured against on progress?

Should I be posting in secondary?

bojorojo Wed 20-Jul-16 00:21:26

I think your questions could be answered by reading Progress 8 measures 2016, 2017 and 2018 which has just been published by the Department of Education and can be found on www.gov.uk. All 34 pages!

summerchocolate Wed 20-Jul-16 12:56:35

Wow that was fun reading!! plus links to lots more documents. Sorry however I am no clearer as to how English is calculated. Is it based on teacher assessed writing or exam marks in reading and SPAG? I cant find an explanation of this point but maybe just me. Many thanks for any help.

summerchocolate Wed 20-Jul-16 22:20:21

I will try reposting in secondary

LilyBolero Thu 21-Jul-16 13:31:00

Try googling Fischer Family Trust - every subject is predicted using KS2 SATs results. Schools may then adjust these, but the government measures them using the KS2 results, so they have to take regard of these.

Personally I think it's a bit ridiculous, because it ignores a lot of information from Y7-9, but it's what's imposed on the schools.

summerchocolate Thu 21-Jul-16 22:28:32

I have tried googling fft and am even more confused. Do you have a link to the relevant page as I cant find anything relevant?

LilyBolero Thu 21-Jul-16 22:34:59

Try this page www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/PRE_PDF_Files/08_40_08.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now