Talk

Advanced search

sorry... another SATS related question (KS1)

(33 Posts)
carbcraver Tue 19-Jul-16 13:41:23

After reading numerous threads on the subject, I received DD's report last week, with no SATS results in. And from you lovely folk, realised this was ok and that I am entitled to ask for them.

Which I did, and DP was handed a post-it with her scores on yesterday.

I had scores for maths and reading..... but I was expecting one for SPAG as well? Am I correct?

Thanks,

Laselva Tue 19-Jul-16 13:45:11

The KS1 SPAG test was cancelled this year after it emerged the spelling test had previously been available on the fife website.

carbcraver Tue 19-Jul-16 13:54:15

I remember that. thanks.

but how have some people bee given them? did some of them sit it or is it generated by the teacher?

KipperTheFish Tue 19-Jul-16 13:56:49

We got results in so far as they said 'working at great depth' or 'working to the expected level' but not any numbers. Is that what you mean?

noblegiraffe Tue 19-Jul-16 14:04:26

DS got a score for SPaG but he sat the test in April.

chamenager Tue 19-Jul-16 14:29:20

Schools could choose to sit the Spag test. I suppose some did, and then shared the results with the parents (if desired). Some may have sat the test but declared it 'unofficial' and therefore didn't share the results along with the other two scores. And some did not sit the test at all.

TeenAndTween Tue 19-Jul-16 14:43:46

Our school decided to sit the SPaG test as the children had done all the prep so they might as well do the test too.

carbcraver Tue 19-Jul-16 18:33:13

kipper year 2 children under took SATs earlier in the year, and have a numerical value for the score. Not all schools have given out results but they have to give them to you should you ask (I believe!)

mrz Tue 19-Jul-16 18:55:56

Some schools piloted the SPAG test

PonderingProsecco Tue 19-Jul-16 20:00:05

Test results at kS1 can be quite different to Teacher assessment which is bit that counts at KS1.
At KS1, I was told, tests are just part of picture that leads to final assessment results given to parents.

mrz Tue 19-Jul-16 20:49:24

Schools have to report "SATs" at the end of each Key Stage. In KS1 they have to tell parents the test results if parents ask but as said they play such a small part in the actual assessment it's pretty meaningless

catkind Tue 19-Jul-16 22:52:46

Can someone point me where it actually says they have to give us the test results if asked? Embarrassingly I've been quoting this as fact for so long I can't remember where I found it in the first place! Hopefully school won't drag feet but they do seem a little reluctant to divulge data in general.

Laselva Wed 20-Jul-16 07:21:24

www.gov.uk/guidance/2016-key-stage-1-assessment-and-reporting-arrangements-ara/section-9-reporting-to-parents

The guidelines for KS1 are a little wooly, stating 'where appropriate' NC test results should be reported to parents, this guidance does not cover academies.

irvineoneohone Wed 20-Jul-16 08:59:07

nothing is meaningless to us parents when it's about our children, how small the matter is.

houseHuntinginmanchester Wed 20-Jul-16 13:02:55

I agree with Irvine. It really isn't meaningless when all they've had is past papers as homework in the run up to the tests and a 'sats party' at the end !

catkind Wed 20-Jul-16 14:43:04

Is that year 2 house? shock. DS barely knew it was a test, we certainly didn't see any prep at home. I'd still like to know how DS got on. Apart from anything else, he said it was easy, and it's of interest to me to know how accurate his estimation is, so that when he says schoolwork is easy I can judge whether it's just DS being cocky or time to have a word with teacher.
I guess I can always do a FoI request.

WhattodoSue Wed 20-Jul-16 15:41:23

Catkind - my DD's results were interesting exactly for that reason. It was actually really helpful to have some form of assessment to let me know if what she was telling me was a bit of throw-away talk, or actually accurate. I was given the raw scores, but thanks to mumsnet, knew how to translate those to scaled scores.

mrz Wed 20-Jul-16 17:05:31

If a school has actually sent past papers home in Y2 ... I despair!

houseHuntinginmanchester Wed 20-Jul-16 17:33:55

Yes year 2.

I don't mind the prep. What's really pissed me off is being told that the results are meaningless (by the literacy teacher who sent the past papers), since it's just one test. And that they don't look at the results for any assessment purposes. Really? So why do the fucking test then?

I went in today to understand why dd (in set one English but on the bottom table all year) suddenly moved to second to the top table in May.. Coincidentally around the time the sats papers were marked. I was frustrated because all year I've been trying to tell her that Dd is capable of more, but nothing I have said or written work I've taken in has been acknowledged. What if she hadn't sat the 'meaningless' papers ? Would she still be sat on the bottom table? Most likely.

mrz Wed 20-Jul-16 17:46:21

As a teacher I mind the prep for a test that's not reported or used in a meaningful way. It informs teacher assessment in the way that every other piece of work done in class does so it counts for approx 1/200 of your child's overall assessment in each subject

houseHuntinginmanchester Wed 20-Jul-16 17:50:48

Exactly. If it was used as part of assessment then I wouldn't be so frustrated at the whole malarkey.
Anyway, schools out, she did incredibly well and life's too short ;)

mrz Wed 20-Jul-16 18:21:49

It is used as part of the assessment

carbcraver Wed 20-Jul-16 21:21:20

My DD and whole year are still completely unaware they sat any form of 'test'. And I think I like it that way.

At 7 they don't need to know what they are being assessed on.

houseHuntinginmanchester Wed 20-Jul-16 21:26:02

That's not that I was told, like I said earlier.

houseHuntinginmanchester Wed 20-Jul-16 21:29:39

And as I said, I wouldn't mind the prep it it was actually used for something meaningful, such as the 11+. Otherwise it's just a waste of my and my dc's time to be filling out past papers on the weekends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now