Talk

Advanced search

please help me work this out

(14 Posts)
Castasunder Mon 18-Jul-16 22:30:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

irvineoneohone Mon 18-Jul-16 22:52:36

Hope school reply to you with plans.

This website has very good tutorial video for all the maths skills. Maybe try a bit over the summer if she likes it? It's a free website.

www.khanacademy.org/math

Castasunder Mon 18-Jul-16 23:19:13

irvineoneohone Tue 19-Jul-16 06:07:09

If you can have a chat with class teacher, I would try to find out where dd's weakness in maths is, before break up.

And keep working during the summer with tutor and try to cover yr4 objectives as much as possible.

And request to meet with teacher, as soon as school starts in September.

Castasunder Tue 19-Jul-16 14:26:03

irvineoneohone Tue 19-Jul-16 15:55:38

Does she have new teacher next year?
Some teacher is great with less able children, while others are better at stretching able ones.

It's end of year, so I would leave it for now, and have proper meeting with school/ teacher in new school year.

If the tutor is working, it may not have affected this year's progress yet, but will make difference in the future, I'm sure.

IME, keep doing 10 mins or so everyday worked really well in the long run.
(My ds's case it was reading comprehension, didn't get the result straight away, but made huge difference in 2 years.)

Good luck.

irvineoneohone Tue 19-Jul-16 16:30:28

And I do really recommend Khan. It's a free site with great tutorial videos, which explains how to do everything in detail, than test you with short quiz for your understanding.( I even think you don't need a teacher to learn new thing, and covers everything.)

lacebell10 Tue 19-Jul-16 17:51:00

Is it due to the curriculum change as they have moved some year 5 expectations down a year? Try and find out what specifically she is weaker on, is it tables? Multiplication etc. Or being afraid of giving the wrong answer, trying to work out what's needed, not showing working out.... tbh the tutor you have should be telling you where her weak areas are that's what you're paying them for

Ferguson Tue 19-Jul-16 20:29:09

I will give you my standard Maths 'handout': in particular, it is important to try and help a child to UNDERSTAND what Maths is all about. Try to us it in practical ways - cooking, measuring, collecting data from friends 'likes' and 'dislikes' etc.

Come back if you have specific queries.

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

So:
ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other
etc,
then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

www.ictgames.com/

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands%20Junior%20School&pid=1

Castasunder Tue 19-Jul-16 20:29:50

bojorojo Wed 20-Jul-16 00:39:16

IT appears the school have a problem with assessing progress and attainment. The teacher should know exactly what your DD can, and cannot, do and plan the lessons accordingly. It is not unusual for lower achieving children to be grouped together but they should have extra help from a TA. At a school I know, the lower achieving children are taken out for revision when the class is about to start a new topic. This gets them up to speed and primes them for what they are about to learn. Could your school do that? You may be correct that she feels down about her position in the class, so definitely keep going over the holidays. Also, make sure the tutor is in step with the new curriculum and not doing their own thing.

Labelling of children is a difficult concept but in education someone is top and others are nearer the bottom. She could, no doubt, sit with children who find the work easier, but if she does not find it easy or cannot keep up with them, will she feel any better about her maths or herself? I guess it is just not so obvious. In these days of exam results and league tables, schools often find grouping children with similar attainment is easier but you could explain to the school that you think she would benefit from being on a mixed table and see what they say.

MilkRunningOutAgain Wed 20-Jul-16 16:16:26

My DD had similar problems in yr 3, luckily due to 2 really good teachers in yr 4 & 5 she has started to progress well. My DD's school split the children into 2 groups for maths and DD is in the lower achieving group. She has gradually moved up this group and is now nearly at the top of it attainment wise, which has helped her self esteem enormously. But she is always challenged and I can see from her books that she is getting appropriate work and definitely not coasting. How the school manages it I'm not sure but as far as I know children in the lower group do not consider themselves stupid, the school bigs up effort and trying new things, not attainment, though that isn't hidden. It is difficult and took 2-3 years to get my DD to see she could do maths and to enjoy it, before this she thought she was stupid too. I think the OP should discuss this with the teacher and work on getting her DD to view maths positively.

Castasunder Thu 21-Jul-16 10:47:31

Castasunder Thu 21-Jul-16 10:47:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now