Age related expectations in year 1

(5 Posts)
akdmummy Mon 18-Jul-16 21:52:14

I've just received my dd's year 1 report. It was split into 2 sections

1) Core Curriculum Subjects (English - split into Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening, then Maths and then Science) . These were graded as either working above, working within or working towards expected level.

2) Foundation subjects (Art, Computing, DT, Geography, History, Music, PE and RE). These were graded at working towards age related expectations, working at age related expectations or working above age related expectations

I can find info on what constitutes expected level and above expected level for English and Maths and what constitutes expected level for science but I can't find anything that tells me what working above expected level for science looks like and what age related expectations for any of the foundation subjects looks like.

Can anyone shed any light or is this likely to be a school based assessment system?

I guess I am just looking for some context on her scores as I can't really understand how a year 1 child could be working above age related expectations for RE or Geography for example which is surely something that is taught in a pretty structured way in class?

sirfredfredgeorge Mon 18-Jul-16 22:02:45

A year 1 child would be working above age related expectations for RE if she could provide a convincing paper on papal infallibility.

I think it's a school based system... You'll need to ask them what they mean.

PrincessHairyMclary Mon 18-Jul-16 22:05:25

Dd also got Mastered - her schools version of Above age related expectations, I take it to mean that she is working at greater depth so when they did their Science lessons on different materials she picked it up quickly and would have been making connections/comparisons etc that would have been expected of an older child.

Either way it's a sign they are doing well and in old levels would probably be at the top end.

mamaduckbone Mon 18-Jul-16 22:07:32

It will be a school based system, although there are plenty of published schemes out there that schools use for assessment.
Working above the expected level in year 1 would simply mean demonstrating a higher level of interest and/or understanding in comparison to their peers. I wouldn't get too excited about it!

zad716 Tue 19-Jul-16 06:41:48

DS's report had similar sections, though for the foundation subjects he was marked only for effort. For the core subjects he was marked for achievement as well.

All it told me for the foundation subjects was that DS could try harder which we already know as he is too easily distracted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now