Please help me understand DDs report

(8 Posts)
RoseRoseRoseRose Mon 18-Jul-16 21:09:58

Last year DD was in year 2 and got 3b for everything. This year (end of y3) says she is 4w (middle of year 4) for reading and 4b+ (start of year 4) for writing and maths.

I know the curriculum has changed and got harder, but I can't help feeling she's gone backwards, and it sort of fits my impression that she hasn't learned much this year.
Am I worrying about nothing?

spanieleyes Mon 18-Jul-16 21:14:51

yes.

Smartiepants79 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:16:54

So she's just finished yr 3?
I'd don't quite understand the levels her school are using, but as I understand it they put her at well byond age related expectations in all areas.
Her reading levels are still well above average and I can't see that she's tones backwards at all.
The jump from yr 2 to 3 is quite a big one. Also, as you've said the curriculum has changed quite a lot in some areas and so taking that into account I would say she's done pretty well.
I can't see anything in these levels to be worried about. They show ok/good progress over the year. I'd be pretty pleased to be honest.

RoseRoseRoseRose Mon 18-Jul-16 21:17:31

That's great - thanks guys smile

almostthirty Mon 18-Jul-16 21:19:24

Unless you are not in UK or are in private there are no such thing as levels anymore.
Children are either working at age related expectations or below, or at greater depth.
The curriculum has changed so much this year so most children SEEM to have made very little progress, but this is untrue, the goal posts have just been moved.

RoseRoseRoseRose Mon 18-Jul-16 21:24:30

Really helpful explanation, thanks. I will chill out now!

PansyGiraffe Mon 18-Jul-16 21:25:07

From what you say it sounds as though "4w" is working at Yr 4 age related expectations, and "4b+" is below Yr 4 age related expectations (but nearly there, hence the +?) - but confusing because it looks so much like the old 4b which was more for Yr 6.

RoseRoseRoseRose Mon 18-Jul-16 21:31:58

4w is where they are supposed to be by the middle of year 4. 4b is the first third of year 4. I was slightly concerned as I thought that her 3b last year meant she was already at that level, but I can see that if the curriculum has changed, that explains it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now